Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a triple by-pass a little over a month ago. I'm doing GREAT. My surgeon says I can shoot again in about 2 months. That will be Oct 17 to the day. Obviously I WILL do as he says and not push it, but I'm getting the itch!

If you have had--or know someone who has had--similar surgery, how long before you / they were back shooting??

Thanks Jim

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Hi Jim,
Hope you are doing well. Feb. 2015 I had a bad heart attack, (at our club clearing snow from the trap field!) and they ended up doing triple on me too. None of the docs could really answer me, so after a few weeks at home and after my check up, I went to cardiac rehab and was able to shoot at 9 weeks. I shot 1 round and that was enough for me. I was tired and the next week I did 2 rounds and slowly built back up to where I could shoot without being tired. I had a good spring and summer that year. Please take care of yourself and definitely DO the cardiac rehab! Steve

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I had by-pass surgery in July 2009 - seven, yes, 7 bypasses! Went through cardiac rehab, got clearance to begin shooting after 12 weeks,. Got a RAD system put on my Browning XT trap O/U and used light one ounce #8 loads. Ran 25/25 at 16 yards first time out. Exercise, watch diet, walk your dog. Now, about 2 months ago was at hospital with my wife who has has MAJOR complications following back surgery in February and saw a doctor in the hall - he is the surgeon who did the 7 by-pass! Stopped him, thanked him profusely for saving my life! Best Regards on your continued good recovery. Just be patient and TAKE CARE of yourself...we don't get many second chances! Ed

·
Registered
667 Posts
Just had pacemaker put in last week cardiologist to my wife minimum of 6 weeks befor shooting.
I was figuring 3 weeks but with her knowing 6 weeks that's not going to happen.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Fortunately I havnt had to go thru open heart surgery. But I have 6 stents from 2 previous Heart Attacks. The shortest time I was told not to shoot was 6 weeks, the longest was 8 weeks.
Make sure you do the rehab and listen to your Doc. When he clears you, You will know how to proceed with your shooting progress by the way you feel. Just don't push it too much in the beginning.
Best wishes and take care.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have had 3 and I think the most important thing is to listen to your Doctor.This year I have shot a lot of targets and have had a great time. Taking your meds the same time every day is helpful. Lose weight if you can and walk every day. Do not eat fast food very often,too much salt and fat in it. Common sense and enjoy your life.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Wow, things must have improved dramatically in the last 15 years!!! My dad had a quintuple bypass over 15 years ago, and it was over 3 months before he could take a deep breath without cringing!!! He was close to a year before he got some what normal.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
35 years ago you would be hospitalized for 3 months after open heart surgery. Now you are lucky to be in e hospital for a week total.
Plus remember they split your Sternum. Then use stainless steel to wire it together. That has to mend before pounding it with recoil.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had triple bypass the first part of april in 2012 and was shooting the middle of June. I started lifting and shooting a 22 rim fire rifle, the worked up from a 410 to a 20 ga to a 12 gauge. I would only go to the next level after I shot 50 to 100 rounds of each and then if it felt good with no pain I would progress. I made this progression slowly over a weeks time in the middle of June. Never had any problems and still none up till now. Good Luck, like the others stated, take it slow. I think you will feel confidence right off if you start shooting something at first with no recoil. I thought this would help by lifting it up and pulling the trigger and not feeling any pain from the get go so as to not develop anything like a flinch. Good shooting.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Jim,
Glad to hear you had successful surgery and best wishes for great recovery. No such experience here, but your doctor will be the best guidance. Of course they tend to be on the conservative side. You will most likely know yourself when it is the right time.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey Jim,
Glad to hear you're doing great.
I had a triple about 12 years ago. I waited approximately 3 months and had no problems ( I still couldn't shoot worth a crap) .
Good luck to you and I hope you are back on the trap field soon.

Clif Adams

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I had a chest x-ray several months after my bypass surgery and asked to see the results of the sternum lash-up. Kinda sorry I did...looked like one of my grandkids got turned loose with a handful of bailing wire . My sternum still snaps-crackle-and pops when I turn over. Regards, Ed

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Hey Jim---Glad to hear all is well after your surgery!!! I have no idea about heart surgery, but I just got my hip replaced 2 weeks ago, and am now back home. Everyone is different in recovery from what I have been told. So listen to your doctor and do not push it. Its just now worth it. I have not even asked my doctor that question yet!!! But you know I'll ask him next month when I see him again. LOL. Good Luck to Ya, and may you have a speedy recovery!!! Take care and break em all Jeff

·
Registered
546 Posts
Went Spring turkey hunting 4 weeks later after a 4 way. One week after surgery walked up to second floor of my church for Sunday service. My speedy recovery was due to my congregation praying for me. In fact my surgeon said he has noticed how much better the recovery goes when you have people praying for you.
I prayed right before they wheeled me into the operating room for God to give my surgeon the wisdom to do a successful operation. He was also a Born again Christian. All glory to God.

·
Banned
890 Posts
I had a triple by-pass a little over a month ago. I'm doing GREAT. My surgeon says I can shoot again in about 2 months. That will be Oct 17 to the day. Obviously I WILL do as he says and not push it, but I'm getting the itch!

If you have had--or know someone who has had--similar surgery, how long before you / they were back shooting??

Thanks Jim
I am glad things went well for you. I had a similar experience. I had a triple by-pass, an aortic valve replacement, and a hole in my heart fixed. In about twelve weeks I was back shooting. Be smart and take it slow. Your body will tell you just how much it can take. And, as you said, listen to your doctor.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I am fortunate because there is a surgeon in Las Vegas who does minimal invasive heart surgery. Instead of cutting the sternum he
goes in through a small hole on the side of the chest. I had a stent installed and open heart surgery within a week of each other. I was
shooting 30 days after the minimal invasive surgery and was back to work at the same time. Great surgeon and a nice guy!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Funny thing. I'm in the hospital as we type this. I have 14 stents and have had bypass also 13 balloon jobs. The best piece of advice I can give you is listento your Doctor. Shooting can wait. My most recent heart attack was in May. At the Grand I broke 99,99,100 in the doublesame of the Grand week. Now I am having a few issues again. But like I said listen to your doctor.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have friends that have gone through the surgery and the thing they had problems with was getting used to the medications that they had to take after the surgery.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts