Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bad hearing even before I started to hunt so I try to protect it all that I can. For the past couple of season I have used electronic earmuffs for duck hunting. They work well but looking for some in ear electornic plugs that could solve the bulkiness issue. Does any one have any recommendations on which ones to get.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i like the injection molded ones. They can add a piece to them so that you can hear conversation but like the electronic ones they cut off with loud noise.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Make an appointment with a local hearing professional (generally a hearing-aid provider) and you can see several different options. Fortunately for me, my wife is one.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Have you ever tried the surgical silicon ear plugs? that should solve the issue of the bulkiness.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My first pair of Earinc electronic ear plugs cost me $500 and lasted me about 10 years. They would be the equivalent of the quick-fit plugs that are available now. The plugs worked great but hurt my ear canal after about an hour of use. It hurt enough that I wouldn't wear them while Deer hunting and long upland hunts. I've been paying the price ever since. I dropped one into a pool of water and that was enough to necessitate replacement. I tried to save some money when it was time buy new ones and went with another brand but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pair of their fitted plugs

After the Earinc plugs I bought a pair of custom fitted SportEar digital ear plugs. Being custom fitted they didn't hurt but they didn't last. I sent them in for repair under warranty during the first hunting season....6 months....and after the warranty ran out so did they. Total waste of money....about $900

My current pair of custom fitted electronic ear plugs are ESP's and they are the best I've owned so far. I bought them because my hunting buddy had his for 14 years before he decided they needed replacement. I liked mine so much I bought a pair for my kid since I suffer from tinnitus and I don't want her to deal with that when she's older. I bought the digital version for myself but my buddy replaced his digital with anologs. Based on his recommendation I bought anologs for my daughter. She wears them all the time with no complaints

I highly recommend custom fitted plugs whether they are electronic or passive. If the plugs are comfortable you'll wear them all the time. If they put pressure on your ear canal they'll start to hurt and you won't wear them. The electronic ear plugs might be pricey buy I shoot thousands of rounds a year and if I would have been wearing my plugs while hunting I wouldn't be typing this post with ringing in my ears

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have bad hearing even before I started to hunt so I try to protect it all that I can. For the past couple of season I have used electronic earmuffs for duck hunting. They work well but looking for some in ear electornic plugs that could solve the bulkiness issue. Does any one have any recommendations on which ones to get.
ESP - (E)lectronic (S)hooter (P)rotection

Electronic Shooters Protection: Digital Hearing Protection

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
Protect what you have.
Shot for many years without any hearing protection and it shows.
I shot at a groundhog Sunday with an AR while I was standing next to a building and I still have a ringing noise in my right ear from that today. Am hoping it gets better but has not yet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Protect what you have.
I shot at a groundhog Sunday with an AR while I was standing next to a building and I still have a ringing noise in my right ear from that today. Am hoping it gets better but has not yet.

Six years ago I pulled the trigger of my 7mm-08 and dropped a nice 10 pointer. My ears haven't stopped raining since....24/7

The deer is mounted on my wall and he taste good but I wish I was wearing ear plugs that day

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Protect what you have.
Sounds like tinnitus. I've had it for at least 12 years. Ears ring constantly.
George

·
Registered
71 Posts
I shoot a Deer almost every year with my .264 Win Man. No Problem 24 inch barrel no brake.
I do use protection when sighting it in as in trap also.

It's accumulative damage and if you shoot enough it will get you. It's "no problem" until it turns into a problem that won't go away

I probably did the most damage to my ears as a kid by going to loud concerts. One concert left my ears ringing for two days but hunting Deer and upland birds with no hearing protection for 20 years didn't help. Once it's gone you can never get it back no matter how good your insurance is

Keep shooting with your ears open and you may start hearing this 24/7

·
Registered
51 Posts
Stick with good quality electronic earmuffs. If you're only worried about hearing protection when you're hunting, you won't be shooting enough rounds for them to interfere with your gun mount.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts