Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scheduled a hearing exam for tomorrow and I know what they are going to say...

I have used molded ear plugs for years and now believe I will have to move to some sort of ear muff arrangement. I have a couple sets I use at the rife range and prairie dog hunting, where they work okay.

I have tried the with my trap gun and they hit the recoil pad or comb almost every time.

Two questions:

Are low profile ear muffs able to mount the gun without coming in contact?

and

Are the electronic versions the way to go?

Thanks, Dusty

·
Registered
303 Posts
Foam ear plugs actually have the highest NRR rating. Higher the number the better the protecton..
Bob Gibson
Charlotte,NC

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Are the electronic versions the way to go? NO!

When the batteries lose power the hearing protection weakens. This can happen gradually and you do not realize it is happening. Your hearing is damaged and it is too late to fix it. HMB

·
Premium Member
11,719 Posts
Good ear muffs over the cheap foam ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also used the molded ear plug but switched to electronic feel like the protection is better. Using Peltor tactical 6 without any issues of muffs hitting the stock.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I have used the combination of molded and Pro-Ears for years. The pro-ears are thin and are better in the regards of hitting the stock.

Ajax

·
Registered
14,673 Posts
I shot electric, pre-molded plugs for 5 years, yet in that time I experienced more of my hearing loss. They were not "fitted" and were loose and thus were not tight.

There has also been much concern about transferred hearing loss which comes from direct contact with the comb against your skull. The Dr. also warned that electric hearing devices may not function fast enough to stop all the noise damage.

Foam plugs and muffs were recommended as best.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Browning low profiles plus foam ear plugs work for me. The added bonus is; you never hear them call "lost".

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
I use the E.A.R. brand and I think it is the 1000 series I wear them over the foam plugs and it works great I take and slightly elevate the right side over my ear so it does not hit the gun, I hear the molded plugs do not fit properly if your ears change from weight and some of the brands shrink slightly The surgical silicone ones that are made from the mold are supposed to be better then the ones they squirt or press into your ear to mold them Motordoc

·
Premium Member
18,767 Posts
I use the Peltor, Low Profile, electronic ear muffs. They don't touch my stock. I bought them at the Grand in 2003, and have used them ever since. I put new batteries in them every spring. Charlie

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
With loads of research for outorhinolaringoligest.( Don't look at the spelling please) Their are no electronic devices that can stop sound quick enough that the danger decibels can't get through. Although you don't notice it but the part of the sound does get through. The foam plugs work the best.
RFGA2 IS correct about the foam plugs. Better still are both muffs and plugs. I'm not trying to mock the electronic muff industry but the information is backed by tons of research . Research the medical journals. Bill

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Not everything works for everyone. For me the muffs hit the stock and the foam
plugs pop out. The molded ones are the only ones I can use.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I wear custom molded ear plugs, and Walker Pro Ear Gold electronic muffs. They work well together.

There are no perfect solutions, since the hearing damage is not limited to through-the-ear noise. Some of the damage is caused by the vibration from the gun stock, through the mastoid bone, and there is absolutely no way to stop this.

The lower profile muffs are generally not as effective, NRR-wise. They simply don't have enough mass in their makeup.

Best, Dennis

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Foam ear plugs PLUS thin ear muffs which don't interfere with my stock work well for me. Just one of those by itself is not enough protection for me.

Easystreet

·
Registered
385 Posts
Dickgtax you've got it! MUFFS HIT AND FOAM POPS OUT. Have been using the molded for many years but I wonder if a soft piece of ANYTHING glued to the bottom of the muff just might stop the CLUNK. Also, the surgical rubber molded sound good and may be worth a try. But I understand they are expensive especially with the music receptacle for an MP3 player.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts