Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heat pump or ??? help a/c guys

a/c died, help should i go with a/c or heat pump. i am in south weat florida how much will it cost? ball park figures???

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I believe in the heat pump, especially the newer units. I know you don't have a lot of cold weather there but my daughter lives in Chipley Fl. and they have used theirs a lot this year. Short of a fireplace it is the cheapest way to go. I installed a new one two years ago and my elect bill dropped 30Pct for the past two years. Jackie B.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you live in a "manufactured home" a heat pump/ac with electric strip heater is usually a packaged unit. Cost in Central Florida runs $4200 installed with new t'stat and concrete pad. Need electric backup for below 32 degrees.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have neighbors on both sides with heat pumps . They are familiar with their servicemen on a first-name basis . I can tell when a serviceman is coming 'cause their outside units start making all sorts of weird noises .

Strip heaters used to be expensive to operate but that "gap" is closing a bit , still , it gives me the willies to hear a compressor running in the heating season .

Charlie

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Stay away from a TempStar. Kid at work paid $5500 for his and it's on its' 6th defroster board, plus the guy has been charging him $65 for the service calls even though it is still under warranty (3 years old).

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
There is a store just west of Valdosta Ga named Triple H, I think that sells a 4 ton heat pump package unit for $1600.00. I pass by it on my way to Panama City and made a mental note of it. It was a common name brand unit but don't know what the seer rating was. Jackie B.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Had a couple of them and they worked well for AC, but for heat they sucked. Always fealt cold and drafty. That said, they are efficient to operate in Southern climates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.