Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Headstamps on AA "New Style" Hulls

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  BigDave1200 
#1 ·
A while ago there was a discussion regarding AA hulls and the headstamps. If I remember the first new style hulls had many problemsnwith internal seperation. The AA hull was identified with a certian headstamp.

I just received a number of new style AA dark grey hulls. Some are stamped "AA", some "WIN", and "WW".

Which ones have the problems? Which are the oldest?

Thank You,
Andy

#3 ·
Headstamps on AA

Most people identify the very first 'new style' by the logo on the case, not the head stamp. The very first new style shells had the AA in a complete, square box. Current AA's have the AA underlined. Just before the current style, the AA was neither in a box nor underlined. The color of the base wad has changed also. Hope this helps. Enjoy.

#7 ·
Headstamps on AA

Just load 'em all once or twice and toss the darn things. That's how i deal with the possible AA hull seperation issue. That's not saying a first load won't cause the seperation.

Matt

#8 ·
Headstamps on AA

It was alleged that the early version of the two piece hulls were the ones that were suspect. That would be the AA with the box around it. I've personally never seen one migrate, but other posters have claimed to have seen it. I wouldn't hesitate to load them, but I also inspect EVERY hull I load, inside and out.

#9 ·
Headstamps on AA

"but I also inspect EVERY hull I load, inside and out."

I do this with each and every shell i load no matter what the Manufacture as well. If i ever detect anything that just don't look right, its in the trash. I'll toss a hull just because its too dirty for my loader.

Matt

#10 ·
Headstamps on AA

Rebel Sympany, The oldest version were the ones that had the problem and they don't have HS on the head stamp. There are some good threads on here in the past that have some pictures showing the difference. The early one that were thought to have the base migration had smooth sided base wads that could only be seen by cutting the hull in two. It is believed that this base could migrate up the hull possibly getting logged in the barrel. There is no HS on the head stamp of these. Winchester made a change to their design and added two ribs to the side of the bases to help keep them in place and those ones have HS on the head stamp.

Dave

#12 ·
Headstamps on AA

hmb:-- not to be a smart-a@#$ but my Pacific 266 will also push a loose base wad back down but it will not tighten them back up-- they would still be loose. I inspect every hull & if I don't like it,--it goes to it's happy hunting grounds, I may not be quite as fussy as >grntitan< but hulls are too inexpensive for me to take a chance on, I like my hands & eyes just the way they are. I load mostly STSs just for that reason. Ross

#13 ·
Headstamps on AA

Now I'm really confused. On says the one with the HS stamped and the other poster says the one without HS.

If someone can remember the old postings with pictures please let me know. I did a search and came up with nothing.

Respectfully Submitted,
Andy

#15 ·
Headstamps on AA

AEP Andy

It gets a little confusing because of the different styles.

Old original AA hulls were a one piece hull and were excellent with no know problems.

Winchester change their hulls to a 2 piece base/hull and the early ones were the ones that were reported to have the separation problems. They DO NOT have the HS head stamp.

The latest version is also a 2 piece but had ribs added to the base wad to help with the separation problem. You cant see these ribs that I am talking about unless you cut one apart but they are identified by having a HS head stamp.

I hope this helps

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.