Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know a sure fire way to teach a student to keep his head on the stock? I tell him to keep his head down, but after a few rounds I see him starting to "come off the gun". He says he's not doing it consciously. When I stand behind him, he says in the gun, but after I walk away, he'll start to lift his head??? Any Ideas?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Have you ever heard of the "fishhook method"??. It works in golf.

(Sorry, don't mean to be a smart aleck) Heh heh...

Larry

·
Vendor
7,574 Posts
have you pointed the gun back towards his pupil--is he really able to see over the receiver and down the barrel--a high % of young shooters CANT!! so they jerk up and or pull away from recoil---to check that, look at his gun and turn away and unload it--without him knowing - then let him dry fire and see if he still pulls up

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Larry I used duct tape on my daughters head..... HAHAHAHA but seriously i like what Gary said..

Wesley

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
You really need to go back and fully analyze his shooting and at one point this started. But most likely the gun didn't fit and probably still doesn't and regular trap loads were used coupled with that fact.

Now you have to get him perfectly setup with a gun/load combo that gives him no pain and virtually no sensation whatsoever. Everything is really critical (imo) at this point if he's going to continue. I would also make sure thats its not hearing related. You could try to get him to where a pair of muffs and see if this helps.

When he's shooting, instill within him to stay in the gun after firing and pick out a broken piece and follow it to the ground. If a miss then the whole target. I would also have him do a nightly dry fire routine.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I agree with PM, teach him to stay in the shot just like he had to shoot it twice. Maybe make him count to 2 after shooting before lowering his gun? But regardless of how you deal with it, just keep telling him to work on it. It may be like nagging your kid to stop playing with their food. It is a self-correcting problem. How many adults do you see playing with their food? But now I'm rambling...
dju

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Most of the time the head lifts because they are tired of getting there Cheek slapped. When it hurts subconsciously the mind try's to fix it. The gun fit is the issue.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Have your student come to the next shooting session with at least $10 worth of single dollar bills.
As he/she takes their first position, and mounts the gun, you place one of the bills between their cheek and the comb.
When the bill drops... its YOURS.

You will see how quickly the student caches on.
Only works if it is the student's money.

Art

·
Registered
944 Posts
I think there was a time when I was holding my head down and the gun was really pounding my cheek.now I hold a more of an errect head and it is not an issue.
Monty

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I don't believe there is a solution to head lifting. However, having that problem since I started shooting 38 years ago, the only cure I've found is to concentrate on follow through. if you keep your cheek on the gun and follow through as long as you can (stay in the gun), the problem will solve itself (sometimes). If you get lazy it will come back, over and over again.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
You don't mention anything about your students size ie male-female--tall-short--slender-well fed (grin)--athletic abilities-etc. as per PM & others check the stock height comb may be to low????? mole skin build-up???? also if skinny & lanky stock "may" be short that's a good way to get hit in the nose and boy that will make you lift your head. (don't ask how I discovered this) Ross Puls

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.