Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I use a shotgun for home defense how long can a shell be left in the chamber without damaging either one? Any thoughts or recommendations about using a shotgun for HD are welcomed.

Thanks,

TC

·
L'Étoile du Nord
497 Posts
Not having a shell in the chamber means you have to give away your presence and location by jacking in a round...unless you have a single shot...and no one can do that silently. A cocking shotgun doesn't scare bad guys; it gives them something to aim at and removes any element of surprise you might have had.

A weapon that's locked and loaded is more useful than one that's not. Rather, train the others in the house to keep hands off!
Foolish answer! The number of accidental discharges absolutely dwarfs the number of intentional ones in a residential scenario.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Other than the stated arguments on safety a shotshells life is a long long time. Corrosion of shell to chamber would be the only concern. And if it is your home defense gun I would think the amount of practice required to stay proficient in using it would keep the shells fresh.......

·
Registered
531 Posts
To answer the original question...you can leave it in there for as long as you want in a climate controlled environment. I have one that sits behind the nightstand that has been in there for years and the I just decided the other day to take it out and give the gun a wipedown and cleaning and it looked at good as the day I put it in there.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My wife was with the FBI for twenty years and the consensus among agents was the sound that spooked the bad guys most was that of a pump shotgun being racked...

Doc

·
Registered
585 Posts
If I needed home protection, it would be Model 12, 12 gauge, with 1 & 1/4 ozs. of # 5 shot. Just have to point in the direction of intruder, not get the sights lined up in the Vee as with a handgun. Also, with a Model 12, you can up to 7 shells loaded and just hold the trigger down and keep pumping.
Many years ago, we had some weathered OAK planks board, a full 2" by 12". Using just plain trap loads, 1 1/8 # 7 1/2s, and a modified choke in a Browning O/U, we had to go back to 13 feet before the load quit blowing a complete into the wood! Just think what the damage would be, using a field load! Ed.

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
My wife was with the FBI for twenty years and the consensus among agents was the sound that spooked the bad guys most was that of a pump shotgun being racked...

Doc

But, why would you want to spook a burglar ? Just shoot him and be done with it. Most of em are spooked anyways. I find it hard to believe that a cop would be confronting a bad guy with an unloaded shotgun, just waiting to spook him by racking the slide.

GneJ

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
put an all plastic shell in for long term a wanda or other brands.they don't tarnish in the box on the shelf in the bedroom.you could change the shell when change the clocks and smoke detector batteries.

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
I suggest anyone interested in using a shotgun as a home defense weapon do a search for articles on the subject.

A lot of what has been posted above are politely called "myths."

A good place to start (and even end), is here: http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=176

Then go out and buy some #1 buck. The Federal load using the Flite Control wad is generally considered to be the best. If you can find it.

If you can't find that, then get 00 buck.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-56-federal-flight-control-1-buckshot/

As with all things firearms and self defense related, you want penetration. Not just a nasty looking wound.

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
So V10, A target load of say even #9 shot inside of 20 ft. would not be lethal? Granted I believe that 00 buck would be the best, but 6 inch plus deep wound in center of chest should do the trick. break em all. Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
So V10, A target load of say even #9 shot inside of 20 ft. would not be lethal? Granted I believe that 00 buck would be the best, but 6 inch plus deep wound in center of chest should do the trick. break em all. Jeff
I have no idea whether a load of #9 shot at 20 feet would be lethal or not.

I suspect that in some cases it would be, and in other cases it wouldn't be.

But I'm not sure why anyone would want to get that close to someone intent on harming them.

The standard for self defense firearm evaluation is 12-inch penetration in ballistic gel. Birdshot doesn't meet that standard.

Here's an article showing the gel penetration tests for various shotgun loads: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/02/robert-farago/shotgun-penetration-with-various-rounds/

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Hope your not in Baltimore now.If you have other family members in the house 00 buckshot may go through walls to loved ones rooms.And i would want to be sure the target which may be closer than 20'.If you shoot trap or any other clay sport you should know what a shotgun can do.Be careful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts