Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

looking to buy powder but also looking for a web based site not charging hazmat fee. Has anyone seen any online sites selling powder minus the hazmat? Midwayusa, powder valley, brownells as far as I know now have a hazmat fee I also know they run a .01 hazmat fee from time to time.

Thanks

Travis

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Not aware of any sites that don't normally charge a haz-mat fee. I normally check them from time to time for the reduced or no fee specials.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Powder valley from time to time will offer no hazmat or fixed fee get on their mailing list. Don't expect any thing special in the near future. With the virus and reduced work force they are struggling to stay current on orders, last email I got they were only a couple days from current!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sign up for midwayusas email list. They waive hazmat fees a few times a year. No company that I'm aware of ships without hazmat all the time.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Keep in mind the hazmat fee is charged by the likes of FedEx and UPS. Anytime you see a retailer "waiving" the fee, it means they are eating the fee. It cuts into their profit margin on the sale.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed about the hazmat fee always being there but yes from time to time it is reduced. Already on Midwayusa mailing list and other sites. Just thinking maybe a site I didn’t hit yet. I hit all the big ones such as Midway, mid south, grafs, brownells, etc.

Thanks for replying

Travis

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
Please be aware, the Hazmat fee is a government charge. If the retailer chooses to absorb it, that's up to them.
It has to be paid by someone, whenever hazardous materials are shipped.
MG

·
Premium Member
11,583 Posts
Someone tell me if I'm wrong but if I recall correctly CAC Associates gives half off the hazmat fee.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Someone tell me if I'm wrong but if I recall correctly CAC Associates gives half off the hazmat fee.
I don't recall that on my last order. Although if any one could do it it would be someone like CAC that is both a distributor and a retailer. They have more margin to work with.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Powder and primers, because of hazmat fees, are the reloading components I buy from the LGS-luckily, my hometown LGS, the ACE hardware, has a good selection of powders (though it seem he can't get Varget and the BL-C(2) is spotty) and plenty of Winchester 209 primers. I buy wads mostly from Graf's, shot I usually buy at the LGS, too, but I did order some from Rotometal, $110 for 2 bags, shipping included. $55 is a bit high, but it's West Coast.

As others have said, if you're not in a hurry, wait for the specials where they drop the hazmat fees, and load up. (pun intended.)

·
Registered
448 Posts
All the vendors I deal with charge hazmat. I just buy local or wait for a deal before I order anything online.

Alternatively, you can always order from a big box store via "ship to store" to avoid the additional fees.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Agreed about the hazmat fee always being there but yes from time to time it is reduced. Already on Midwayusa mailing list and other sites. Just thinking maybe a site I didn’t hit yet. I hit all the big ones such as Midway, mid south, grafs, brownells, etc.

Thanks for replying

Travis
Is there maybe a local store who would work with you on a better price for a bulk order?

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Hazmat is not a government fee - it is a company charge to customers for the some/all of the cost of compliance with fed/local regulations.

The fee does not go to the government coffers.

jk

·
Registered
743 Posts
looks like MidwayUSA has free shipping today.. not free HAZMAT, but the 2 costs might offset..

UPDATE: just checked the details and the free shipping does not apply to items requiring HAZMAT fee..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hazmat is not a government fee - it is a company charge to customers for the some/all of the cost of compliance with fed/local regulations.

The fee goes not go to the government coffers.

jk
Eh....the companies pay government entities for the permits and such granting the rights to transport hazardous materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Graf, midway, Brownells, Powder Valley all on occasion will have zero hazmat fees on a set minimum orders. Last one I got from Powder Valley with no hazmat fee was a minimum of 10,000 CCI BR-4 primers. Besides the wavier the primers were about $12 per thousand primers less anywhere.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did the math and the best thing to do is to buy from Cabelas or Bass Pro on Tuesdays, which you get 10% off. Then buy gift cards in Raise.com for another 10%... that should cover all the hazmat costs and reduce the powder/primer cost to powder valley levels. Shipping is free.

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts

The fee goes not go to the government coffers.

jk
Federal is The Government.
LOL,
MG

1 - 20 of 26 Posts