Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Hastings "Wad Lock" barrels used a series of small Straight rifling grooves that were supposedly effective in stopping the wad from spinning, therefore increasing the effectiveness of the pattern. I knew a couple of guys who had them, and liked them. I cannot attest to wheter or not the idea worked as advertised, since I never owned one. At any rate Hastings made a good product. Sad to see them out of buisness now.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I am currently shooting the same barrel. I use it for both trap and sporting clay. It is very well made. I haven't patterned it, but it gives me good breaks, so the proof of the pudding is...
It appears to me that the shorter barrels are actually 36" barrels that have been cut, opened and re-tapped for the chokes. You can tell that by looking at the end of the barrel which is relatively thin and isn't crowned like most barrels.
I had a full set of flush chokes, but sold them to buy the new Carlson sporting extended chokes.
The extended choke protects the end of the barrel and Carlson makes a very good choke.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Look up Carlsons online. They have a complete website and you can order online. They have very good service and online discounts.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I bought several of these barrels when Hastings closed. Bbls were made in France according to box labels. Nicely finished. Looked like quality pieces. I still have a 36" bbl on a left handed 870. Marc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts