Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure, I'll be happy to help. Once metal reaches plastic deformation (irreversible) it will never be the same again. So go ahead and do yourself and everybody else a favor by doing the right thing and putting it where it belongs.

-Gary

gw22_2008_030313.jpg

·
Registered
281 Posts
I bought a new Remington 1100 Classic Trap a few years ago that was the same way. It wasn't really noticeable until you looked down the side of the barrel, but then it was very evident. I believe it was a light contour barrel and I think they are just made that way, probably to provide a little more metal for the choke tube threads. I'll bet your Hastings was made that way too. I wouldn't worry about it as long as the choke tubes seat properly and it isn't so flared as to be an obvious flaw.

Phil

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
It's supposed to be flared out. It's done to allow the installation of the choke tubes without having to remove metal from the barrel. Read my post in the other thread about the barrel being opened up at the end.

My barrel has the same flaring, and other guns have that as well.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Stan baker barrels have an obvious bulge because of the mandrel he used to stretch the steel before threading.

HM

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since he used the word "bulged" I assumed the OP knew the difference between the design-in feature and an over pressure induced defect. Perhaps not.

-Gary

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Guess all those Baker barrels must have blown by now. He surely reached plastic deformation (irreversible) it will never be the same again.

jim brown

1 - 10 of 10 Posts