Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I am starting to wonder what is happening to me as I get older. Today, I was traveling East on Bluemound road when my cars engine started making horrendous noises. I said to myself that I just paid a lot of money for this vehicle a couple months ago and now the engine must be going, thinking I wasted a lot of my hard earned cash.

I decided to floor the pedal and the noise got even louder. For a couple miles this is happening and I then decide that I better take the car into the auto dealership.

A few blocks before I get to the auto dealership I find myself sitting at a stop light and I decide to shut the engine off. What the heck, I can still hear the noise? I look to my left and some pimple face teenager has an old beat up Honda Civic with huge exhaust pipes on his car and the noise was coming out of his piece of junk. I lower my window and sarcastically yell to the kid, "your car sounds great".

He looks at me and then gives me the thumbs up. All I did was shake my head and wonder if I'm turning into one of the old men at the retirement home. After today, it won't be long before I see young gals in their candy stripers uniforms serving me my meals with the covers over my dish with a tray.

Have you ever thought something was wrong with your vehicle and it ended up being another car that was near you?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
Just do what my ex wife did turn up the radio and drive it until it cost 10 times as much to fix as it would have if she would have told me to look at it

Noises in vehicles drive me crazy, one time I had a Ford F250 with a 6.9 liter diesel in it, it developed a ticking noise, and every time I drove it I would tell myself I need to look at it, it sounded like a valve lifter ticking and it had roller followers in it, the sound got a little louder one night when I was driving home after my swing shift, I swore to the truck I would fix it the next day

I guess it didn't believe my and it dropped the #2 valve in the cylinder

The ticking noise was the lifter hitting the cam because the shaft for the roller had broken, then it got so loose the rocker arm was beating the pi$$ out of the top of the valve until the keeper broke

$5000 worth of parts later I fixed it LOL

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
How about sitting at a stop sign and the car next to you rolls ahead and you think your car backing up and you push your brake pedal harder and you get that gut feeling that its still backing up.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
That can't happen to me...We don't have a Bluemound Rd. in my area...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
That is a good one Steve. A few years back my old work truck had been running great and while I was at a stop sign it started making noise like it had a hole in the exhaust manifold. It really started to get loud as I took off from the stop light and I got to a business entrance to turn into to get off the road and check it out. When I pulled over the noise didn't stop but got louder and louder.That was funny I had the truck ideling. I opened the door and only then did I notice the famous "City of New Orleans" leaving town south on the tracks. All that time I'm thinking the worse of my work truck and it's the noise of that big locomotive engine that had my attention. Yes Steve as my mind was thinking of my evening coming up my ears picked up that engine roar and it certainly did happen to me.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Catpower:
My wife tells me the same exact thing when my car is making noises "just turn up the radio". I look at her in amazement and usually say please tell me your kidding?
Steve

likes to shoot:
Yes, that has happened to me a few times and I almost panic I apply the brakes so hard.
Steve

Dahaub:
Reminds me of a story my father told me when I was in the army. I had a 1962 Mercury Comet that my father was taking care of while I was in the service. He said every week he would drive it for me and usually something broke down.

At that time, I had a Basset hound that he was also watching for me and she was in the front seat of my car. My dad was hearing noises thinking that my water pump was going so he pulled the car over and it stopped making the noise.

A block further the same thing happened. It ended up being my dog was crying and he thought it was the car's water pump making the noise.

When I returned home from the service he gave me the keys to my car and the dog and her lease and said he will never watch either of them again as both cost him money and drove him insane.
Steve

·
Premium Member
18,856 Posts
Cat, I have the radio turned up so loud anyway, I can't hear the engine, or anything else. LOL.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
When I was kid my dad had a Studebaker pickup - after a shade tree oil change he started hearing a clicking sound that got faster as he drove it. Finally took it to a garage to have it looked at - pulled up to the service door and waited for a mechanic to open it - the door went up, the mechanic held up his had to wait a moment and lifted the hood on the truck, pulled the dipstick out, rotated it 180 degrees and put it back in. Noise was gone. Dad told that story on himself for years.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Unusual noises?

Ha!

My FJ40 drive train is so loud you don't have conversations in it. You have shouting matches.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Brian, I love that FJ40.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
My years as a rural mail carrier taught me that most times a vehicle will give you a warning before they break.

Got to listen to the car.

Bill

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a relative that strongly believes that if you listen to every noise and squeak coming out of your car it will drive you crazy plus empty your pocket book.

When asked what do you do when you hear a noise she said just turn up the radio. Are these people insane?
Steve

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I worked for a dealership in Indy, and a lady came in with a Chevy Vega for an oil change, and to check the noise in the engine.

Well, the lube man was next to one of my trans overhaul stalls, so I watched him with amazement. We had bulk oil in a hose type dispenser, and he would put the end of the dispenser in a valve cover,put in almost all of the necessary oil, then start the engine.

When he did this, the overhead cam rotated, and broke! He pulled the torn up end out, turned in the ticket, and told the Service Manager he found the engine noise.

The same guy asked me if I would hold the tail pipe on a Opel while he tightened it. He cut the old one off with a torch.

As I was holding it in place, I looked at the car, and he had melted the plastic fuel line in two, and it had about a two inch gap of missing line.

We had a building cleaning crew come in every night, and they would raise all the lifts, to scrub the floor. The compressors were shut off each night, but had enough air to do this.

The car jockeys would start pulling cars into our stalls about 7:00am, and one morning the Service writer went through, and turned on the compressors.

It seems the cleaning crew, had been playing with the lift controls, and had them all in the "up" position.

Lifts started up, and cars started up, and over, and sideways, and crunching, and we had a mess.

Lots of stories like this in my memory bank.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
And you didn't say anything to a supervisor about that menace with a wrench?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts