Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much like Illinois, Pennsylvania has been without a budget since July 1. There have been public demonstrations about the funds that are not going to promised schools support by the state and the need for school districts to borrow funds, at commercial interest rates, or shut down when they can not meet the payroll. BUT, there has been virtually no media reports of ANY progress or even meetings between the Governor and Legislative leaders.

I am wondering if the situation in Illinois regarding the political war over the budget has shown ANY hints of progress toward a resolution or are both sides, much like PA, still acting like stubborn, spoiled, "Its gotta be my way!" brats?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
We elect people for what they say they believe in. Then, when they stand for what they believe in, somebody calls them, "It's gotta be my way!" brats.

The dismal science of politics is this: "You'll never make everybody happy; sooner or later you'll make everybody angry over your position on this issue or that one."

This is why your smartest, brightest, best, most ethical people avoid politics. They don't need the political arena to be successful and to feel empowered. The end result is, you end up with second and third rate citizens filling these slots - which is why politics is as miserable as it is in the first place.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
As of June 2015 (latest data I could find) 13 States have not passed a budget.

State of State Budget Deals (as of 6/25/2015)
No deal

Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Washington, Wisconsin

Enacted or agreed to a deal

Arizona, Arkansas, Alaska, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
ky.jelly, as a shooter I too care about how Illinois will resolve its budget.

When pyrdek posted about Pa being in the same situation as Illinois as far as no budget being passed I wondered how many other States were in the same situation and posted what I found for those who MIGHT be interested.

As far as your personal feelings go I guess that doesn't interest me in the least.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
"It's gotta be my way" is not generally considered to be the way a democracy functions.

Reactions: X2 fan

·
Registered
478 Posts
The local kid's teams are scrambling for practice locations. They are the ones seeing an immediate repercussion from this bull fight.

Our team from Marissa has been fortunate to have been allowed to practice at the New Athens Sportsman Club. The members of the Sportsman's Club voted unanimously to make this happen.
Our current kid's have not had experience with anything like a small club with one trap machine. The members are going out of their way to help, and we are trying to be as unobtrusive as possible.
It's a little bit of a challenge due to the remote location and a much different background than the kid's are used to, but in all we are extremely grateful for their support.

regards,

Todd Dietrich, Marissa IL

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
"It's gotta be my way" is not generally considered to be the way a democracy functions.
Sure it is. A democracy functions by one side or the other winning the argument by vote. And sometimes you win (by vote) and get your way; sometimes you lose (by vote) and don't get your way. Occasionally there is compromise, but only as a last resort, when both sides feel they cannot get to, "gotta be my way".

"It's gotta be my way" is not generally considered to be the the way a coalition government functions. But, coalitions are even more ineffective than a democracy.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Other than being a weatherman, I can't think of any job where you can be wrong or just not do your work for months on end and not get fired on the spot. State representatives, in all states, are elected to represent the people and they are also responsible for an annual budget. The July 1 deadline wasn't a surprise date, the budget is always due July 1. There needs to be a better system for establishing a budget. Here's an idea, unless the current elected officials REVISE the state's previous year's numbers, the same budget will be full force for the new year. I'm sure there are lots of other, probably better, solutions but just arguing over the new budget for so long that the people who are supposed to be represented are being hurt isn't fair or practical.
This country needs to get back to the idea that you must "do your work or lose your job".

·
Administrator
8,648 Posts
I agree with trapwife :) "do your work or lose your job" For those of us in the private sector that is the rule,you have to hustle and be dedicated to your business or you will lose it. Unfortunately many in Gov. do not feel the same sense of urgency.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I agree with trapwife :) "do your work or lose your job" For those of us in the private sector that is the rule,you have to hustle and be dedicated to your business or you will lose it. Unfortunately many in Gov. do not feel the same sense of urgency.
That's why there are elections, that's how they get "fired". When constantly electing the same morons, and expect a different result is lunacy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts