Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting some new shot bushings for my 366s and Im interested in making a reload that is 1 1/16 or 8s.Has anyone had experience with this load for good or bad.Thanks in advance for a reply George

·
Vendor
19,371 Posts
It is my load of preference when i am not shooting new. I took my 1 ounce MEC bar and Dremel ground the shot opening till I got it to 1-1/16 and it drops that exactly on my scale. i shoot that with about 17.2 of Clays, a VERSALITE wad, AA primer and packed into a STS hull. the versalite wad is important because the shot cup is deeper and it is easier to get a good looking factory like crimp. it books across my chrono at 1180. i shoot that load for ATA singles and any kindo f practice at the club. I shoot New Kemen, new Fed papers, new Nitros for ATA handicap. did not shoot much over the past 2 years due to shoulder issues. And have about 20 new flats to use up in 2014. But the 1-1/16 seems to work well with no drop off in scores. the recoil is similar. Judge your own shells on that. I think it is about 10% less (the math tells me that), but it seems similar.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I guess I have been doing that for years. My MEC 1-1/8th oz bar throws a lot closer to 1-1/16th of # 7-1/2 shot. Never worried me in the least. If 1/16th oz. is going to affect my score, better concentrate more.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Just about everyone who handloads 1-1/8 ounce has been working with 1-1/16 loads all along. Most shot bars and bushings are calibrated to throw about 1/16th less with hard shot so someone using denser soft shot won't unintentionally make illegal shells.

Ed

·
Banned
8,351 Posts
I used to shoot Kent 1 1/16 loads and they were great, problem is Kent priced themself up there with the Remington, Winchester, and Federal shells so it was a no brainer once that happened ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
647 Posts
My 1 1/8 bushing actually throws 1 1/16 oz of the #7 1/2 hard shot I prefer. The reloads work as well as factory, premium 1 1/8 oz loads as best I can tell. I use both Alliant Select and Green Dot recipes published for 1 1/8 at 1200 to 1200fps. Seems I've been saving myself a little recoil and a little money.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I've been loading 1 1/16 oz loads for several years now. They work great and you get 1 extra box of shells out of a bag! I reworked a 1 oz bushing for my Hornady 366 to throw 1 1/16 oz. My load is 465 grains of magnum shot- 18 grains of Promo-Remington primer and DR 118 wad. Ed

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Was once one of my favorite loads. Makes for some great crimps sometimes and seems to have a bit less recoil. I always think about trying them again!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
A guy at our gun club opens up a 1oz to 1 1/6oz for MEC reloaders, So I've shot them for over 10 years, I use a full choke for singles as well as handicap and always load on the lite side of what's recommended. I've never had any problems!

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
1-1/8 ounce shot bars/bushings are drilled for chilled lead drops. Hard shot weighs less per volume drop and it turns out to be 1-1/16th with most hard shot brands. That's just in case a reloader uses soft chilled shot only.

HAP

·
Administrator
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot for the input!I appreciate it.I load with a pacific 336 and will be getting some new bushings including a 1 1/16 and have always wanted to try it.Mostly for 16 yard and doubles ect. I load with a downrange 1 1/8 windjammer type wad and sometimes fig 8s.Powder is mostly PB or Solo 1000.So I will look forward to putting some together and see what I get for results.Mostly shooting my Blaser f-3 and a KS-5 with fixed full choke. George

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have loaded 1 1/16 oz loads for years and like them very much. Hornady makes bushings calibrated for specific shot sizes. Try a bushing for 1 1/8 oz of 9 shot, mine drops very close to 1 1/16 oz of 8s.

·
Administrator
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it will be fun to experiment with this as with my KS-5 it is a fixed full and was thinking of going to 1oz for the 16s and was looking at the 1 1/16 as and alternative to check out.I do have a 1 1/8 9 bushing to try also.Thanks George

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have been shooting 1 1/16th ounce loads for a few years. Work great. From the 16, if you shoot 8 1/2 shot you still get a lot of shot into the air. But I shoot also 7 1/2 and 8 shot in 1 1/16 is a fine choice, you are not loosing that many BBs. Current load is about 16.8g of Titewad, CB3118-12A wad WIN primer in Gun Clubs, Nitro or STS or AA.... smacks em nice and is a fairly lite load with little objectionable felt recoil.

Patterns very well at the board and clays seem to hate this load a lot. Haaaa

Art

·
Administrator
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will probably try 18gr. solo with a fed. 209/windjammer type wad on a STS hull.Probably a good place to start.I also do 20.5 gr. PB.THanks George

1 - 17 of 17 Posts