Trapshooters Forum banner

Has anyone Demoed a gun at Cole's in Florida?

1915 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Motordoctor
I am looking for a gun for my 13 year old daughter. She is currently shooting an 1100 with a youth Jack West stock. She is starting to shoot it pretty well but, the 1100 is not very friendly for a young girl to load for doubles. I am considering a RL A400 Parallel Target, an A300 RL, a Syren LS4, a Syren Elos N2, and a 686 Silver Pigeon Vittoria. We will be traveling to south Florida for a vacation next month, and I saw where Coles is a Demo center for Fabarm/CG. I called and was told they do demos on Wednesday and Saturday at the Sarasota Gun Club. That is about 2 hours from where we are staying so I figured it would be worth the trip. The guy I spoke with couldnt tell me exactly what guns they had to demo there but said they did have some Syren and Beretta ladies/youth guns.

Does anyone have any experience with their demo process and what to expect? It appears that the Sarasota Gun club is a long way from their Naples store, which I would also like to visit. I'd love to narrow the search down and get as many guns in her hands as possible. We are planning to go to the Grand, but it would be nice to have an idea of what we are looking for.

Thanks,
Craig
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why don't you simply just stop into Coles gun shop before you head out to the Sarasota gun club. This way she can narrow her search down to two guns or so. Then try to get Coles to bring those two guns for her to demo at Sarasota!!! Good Luck to the both of you. Don't forget to break em all jeff
That may be the best plan. The guy I spoke to just suggested I got straight to the club. He wasn't the most talkative guy....

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Call the store and ask for Megan or Rich Cole himself.

My 12 year old daughter is shooting the L4S Syren, been through 7 flats of ammo with zero problems. If you come down I95, I am in Savannah, you are welcome to stop and let her try it, Joe
Thanks for the offer! I'll be coming from the other side of the state.
Does she have any issues with getting two shells loaded? That is my daughters biggest issue, I have to load it for her. Its also right at 8.5 pounds so its a bit heavy. The LS4 should be a pound or so lighter and will have a 28" barrel instead of the 30" on the 1100. It's the gun "I" want her to like best.

· Registered
231 Posts
Craig,
I've got a Beretta 3901RL (real deal, discontinued, Italian barrel, mid bead) I'm glad to loan her for an extended time to try out, I just can't remember if it's a 26 or 28 inch barrel. It was my daughter's starter gun,

Only problem is I'm in Dallas,

I don't understand the problem with loading the 1100, I get the first few times can be difficult not understanding the feed latch has to be depressed at the same time as pushing the shell but it's not something that can't be overcome and I'd think any autoloader is going to cause her the same issue until the learning curve is overcome,

I also understand her want for a break open gun, it does make everything easier but at her size and experience fit is most important to enjoying shooting,

PM if you want to discuss the loaner,

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Craig,
I've got a Beretta 3901RL (real deal, discontinued, Italian barrel, mid bead) I'm glad to loan her for an extended time to try out, I just can't remember if it's a 26 or 28 inch barrel. It was my daughter's starter gun,

Only problem is I'm in Dallas,

I don't understand the problem with loading the 1100, I get the first few times can be difficult not understanding the feed latch has to be depressed at the same time as pushing the shell but it's not something that can't be overcome and I'd think any autoloader is going to cause her the same issue until the learning curve is overcome,

I also understand her want for a break open gun, it does make everything easier but at her size and experience fit is most important to enjoying shooting,

PM if you want to discuss the loaner,
I really appreciate the offer!

It's mostly an issue of small hands trying to pushing the feed latch and push the shell in against a heavy mag spring, all while holding a heavy gun. I know she will get bigger and stronger and it will get easier, but the 1100 is harder to load than her 20ga A400. The 1100 also has a 30" fixed full choke barrel, which is not ideal for an all around gun. She is wanting to try skeet and sporting clays as well.

We are not in a hurry to move her to a different gun, just thought we would try some out while we were down there. But, I would like to get MY 1100 back at some point! :p

· Registered
231 Posts
I don't mind driving a bit, maybe we could meet in Ada, OK, we could shoot a couple rounds with @Chief 701 and you could take the gun home with you, it's got mobil chokes and adjustable comb for other fields,

· Registered
264 Posts
I am looking for a gun for my 13 year old daughter. She is currently shooting an 1100 with a youth Jack West stock. She is starting to shoot it pretty well but, the 1100 is not very friendly for a young girl to load for doubles. I am considering a RL A400 Parallel Target, an A300 RL, a Syren LS4, a Syren Elos N2, and a 686 Silver Pigeon Vittoria. We will be traveling to south Florida for a vacation next month, and I saw where Coles is a Demo center for Fabarm/CG. I called and was told they do demos on Wednesday and Saturday at the Sarasota Gun Club. That is about 2 hours from where we are staying so I figured it would be worth the trip. The guy I spoke with couldnt tell me exactly what guns they had to demo there but said they did have some Syren and Beretta ladies/youth guns.

Does anyone have any experience with their demo process and what to expect? It appears that the Sarasota Gun club is a long way from their Naples store, which I would also like to visit. I'd love to narrow the search down and get as many guns in her hands as possible. We are planning to go to the Grand, but it would be nice to have an idea of what we are looking for.

Thanks,
Craig
Have her try the L4S, very little recoil, my wife shoots one with 32" barrel.

· Premium Member
1,797 Posts
My 2 cents and the route I went with my wife. I got her a 68x series Beretta with a 28” barrel. Bought a PFS and she loved the combo. I did the PFS route with my kid originally and it was THE BEST investment ever for a growing child! An easy route to follow and a simple project for you both to get her shooting comfortably. As she grows and develops, that PFS can be adjusted to her physique. Good luck and good shooting, Rey

· Premium Member
2,344 Posts
I don't mind driving a bit, maybe we could meet in Ada, OK, we could shoot a couple rounds with @Chief 701 and you could take the gun home with you, it's got mobil chokes and adjustable comb for other fields,
Suits me. You need to get out of Texas anyway and come to Gods Country. You guys are welcome at my club any time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.