Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're selling these things. And they wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't a market for it. I've never heard of a trap range that mandates steel shot. Have any of you? I would never run steel through any of my trap guns, especially O/U's. I wonder if this is what's on the horizon for all of us? If so it could mean the end of trap shooting based on cost alone. (Price a bag of steel shot vs. lead).

Or is this something that is being done to appease the tree and bunny huggers of the world? Much like the Tin bullet .22's that no one is buying. Those were brought out for much the same reason. The people who want to save the whales and the poor people hate the word "lead". They think if you walk by a box of ammunition you'll fall over dead.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
There are a lot of trap clubs where only steel shot is allowed.
Naperville, Illinois is the one I'm most familiar with. It's not done to appease anyone. It was necessary for these clubs to stay open. The price of shells with steel shot should soon fall in line with lead.

·
Registered
14,144 Posts
There are a handful of trap ranges across the US that require steel shot.

However, I think a VAST majority of the steel factory loads are purchased by accident (someone doesn't know the difference or just grabs the first thing they see). I see the hulls for steel target loads from time to time in the buckets @ the club, we have no such requirement, and I've never seen steel loads cheaper than lead, so I can't come up with any other explanation.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
There are a couple of clubs in the Boston, Ma. area that require steel. One club requires you to buy the shells from them to insure its steel. It was an EPA thing. Every other club I have shot at in the area use lead. Steve

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Yes, there are a few clubs that have been mandated to use steel shot. Do a search on this site for more information. Steel shot won't hurt your barrel as it is inside the plastic wad cup. You may have to use a more open choke.

You can argue until you die that lead is not harmful in lead pellet form and you would be generally correct. However, the reality is that it has been declared as toxic and nothing is going to change that so clubs better pull their heads out of the sand and make sure that they are managing their lead properly and that no lead is leaving their property or falling into wetlands on their property. If either is happening there is a gate lock in their increasingly foreseeable future.

I have advised lots of clubs on their lead management issues and the number 1 problem these clubs have is not the lead but dumbass board members and members who are in denial of the problem and fight tooth and nail in their ignorance against the smart and responsible club members who want to solve the problem. Far more clubs are closed because of stupid members than regulatory agencies.

Don't believe me? Just read some of the comments which will follow.

If you want to avoid having to use steel shot, make sure that your club is properly managing its lead.

461 Posts
I wonder if this is what's on the horizon for all of us?
Yes. Slowly we'll see more and more non-tox only, then the trend to non-tox will increase rapidly.

If so it could mean the end of trap shooting based on cost alone. (Price a bag of steel shot vs. lead).
When steel becomes the "standard trap load" it may turn out to be cheaper.

I would never run steel through any of my trap guns, especially O/U's.
I don't want to use it for trap, but if my choice becomes trap with steel versus no trap, I'll shoot trap with steel.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Bill T, it;s not a matter of states, what part of EPA (a federal alphabet agency) don't you understand? As ShotStop stated, clubs need to manage their lead, especially where clubs are near wetlands which Mass. has more than its share of these wetlands. Both of the clubs I belong to happen to be near wetlands and they have done a lot to manage their lead to keep the EPA and tree huggers from having to do something. A club that is 5 minutes from my house LOST its trap field because lead went into a creek near some HIGH priced homes where some residents are lawyers that didn't like the club in the first place, dime dropped, feds, and state DEP showed up..........Guess what......Go somewhere else to shoot. So don't be surprised............fix things before YOU don't have a place to shoot! Steve

·
Registered
204 Posts
I shoot steel in Naperville, IL and we do shoot more mostly #7 Winchester, and RIO factory loads as that is what the Park District purchases in bulk. How any towns can say they have a Trap Range downtown? Many of the members shoot #6 steel factory, and reload #7 steel as well. Our club was nearly shut down for an EPA cleanup and thankfully the town's Park District took over the club and paid millions for the EPA lead cleanup. The private members still run the club with Park District oversight and we adapted to stay open in an urban environment with a population over 150,000. It wouldn't have been an issue if the club hadn't been close to a navigable waterway... There have been many previous threads about our club.... Good group of shooters and great steel reloaders! any of the guys shoot the P, and K guns with no issues as the steel is in the wad and doesn't touch the barrel.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I shoot steel in Naperville, IL and we do shoot more mostly #7 Winchester, and RIO factory loads as that is what the Park District purchases in bulk. How any towns can say they have a Trap Range downtown? Many of the members shoot #6 steel factory, and reload #7 steel as well. Our club was nearly shut down for an EPA cleanup and thankfully the town's Park District took over the club and paid millions for the EPA lead cleanup. The private members still run the club with Park District oversight and we adapted to stay open in an urban environment with a population over 150,000. It wouldn't have been an issue if the club hadn't been close to a navigable waterway... There have been many previous threads about our club.... Good group of shooters and great steel reloaders! any of the guys shoot the P, and K guns with no issues as the steel is in the wad and doesn't touch the barrel.
Judson ,
I know Steel Shot bought in bulk is not as expensive as most people think it is.
My old club was "Steel Only" , and #7 steel was "$32.00 for 25# back in `08.
That was "Member Price." The club bought it in 2,000 pound Drums.
Just curious to know what Steel is going for these days. What are you guys paying per 25# ? , or 2.000# ?
Regards , Pete

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
How does steel shot pattern compared with lead shot?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
There is a club in Florida too that requires steel. I do not recall which. It has nothing to do with the State and its gun views or political views. As stated above, it's a lead contamination issue. Just be hopeful the Federal Government never gets its way. They would love to see ALL lead bullets outlawed.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fix things before YOU don't have a place to shoot! Steve
Forcing people to use steel shot isn't a "fix". It's simply another way for whining liberals to do an end around in order to get gun control, period. As was stated, this is all initiated by the tree and bunny huggers at their annual save the whales and the poor people convention. In Chicago, the Lincoln Park Gun Club fired over 1,000 tons of lead into Lake Michigan from 1912 to 1991. 500 tons were removed. The rest of it is still sitting on the bottom, effecting no one.

Lincoln Park Gun Club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The study, performed by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, determined that there was no pollution present, and that although there was a significant amount of lead shot and clay pigeons resting on the lake's bottom, it posed no health risk to humans or aquatic life."

None of this has anything to do with poison, and everything to do with hating guns. All this silly crap about "noise", "safety", and "lead" is just that, CRAP. For Christ's sake the stuff is a natural occurring element, that is mined out of the ground. If it was anywhere near as "poisonous" as these idiots make it out to be, the entire population of Galena, Illinois would be dead.

·
Banned
16,308 Posts
Are urban trap shooters that use steel shot useful idiots for the EPA and anti-gunners?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Judson ,
I know Steel Shot bought in bulk is not as expensive as most people think it is.
My old club was "Steel Only" , and #7 steel was "$32.00 for 25# back in `08.
That was "Member Price." The club bought it in 2,000 pound Drums.
Just curious to know what Steel is going for these days. What are you guys paying per 25# ? , or 2.000# ?
Regards , Pete
Same price and we buy in steel drums as well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Forcing people to use steel shot isn't a "fix". It's simply another way for whining liberals to do an end around in order to get gun control, period. As was stated, this is all initiated by the tree and bunny huggers at their annual save the whales and the poor people convention. In Chicago, the Lincoln Park Gun Club fired over 1,000 tons of lead into Lake Michigan from 1912 to 1991. 500 tons were removed. The rest of it is still sitting on the bottom, effecting no one.

"The study, performed by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, determined that there was no pollution present, and that although there was a significant amount of lead shot and clay pigeons resting on the lake's bottom, it posed no health risk to humans or aquatic life."

None of this has anything to do with poison, and everything to do with hating guns. All this silly crap about "noise", "safety", and "lead" is just that, CRAP. For Christ's sake the stuff is a natural occurring element, that is mined out of the ground. If it was anywhere near as "poisonous" as these idiots make it out to be, the entire population of Galena, Illinois would be dead.
Lincoln Park was closed because of the wads in the water not the lead.

·
Registered
204 Posts

I agree but Naperville complies to stay open, from the 16 yard you can't tell the difference and there are many 25, 50, and 100 scores to boot. Don't hate the guys who don't want to drive an hour to shoot.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Are urban trap shooters that use steel shot useful idiots for the EPA and anti-gunners?
They own and shoot guns, don't they? You can't play this stupid game and expect to win because the deck is stacked from the get go. Can anyone show me a single incident where someone took ill because of lead that was ingested, directly because of a shooting range? There isn't one. This is as or more stupid than "Global Warming". This is just an angle to go after guns. And if you think you're going to stop it by shooting steel shot, you are only kidding yourself. This isn't about lead, it's about control. Pure and simple. Again, just like "Global Warming". People need to wake up here. You can't win a game most don't know is even being played.

Remember the Environmental Protection Agency and the Center For Disease Control have both tried to ban ammunition. Ask yourself why? Now, do you honestly think that changing what the projectile is made from is going to change their minds?

1 - 20 of 158 Posts