Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not concerning the Xtra-Grain stocks. Has anyone had a problem with the finish of the lower end wood on Beretta shotguns coming off when getting rained on? By lower end, I am referring to the wood on 686 Silver Pigeon, Prevail's, and 687's. I've heard when shooting in the rain that the finish starts wiping away.

Reason for asking is that I am looking to buy one of the above guns, but this could be a deal breaker. I am trying to find out if this is internet myth or fact.

·
Vendor
4,933 Posts
For what it's worth. I've sold Berettas now for nine months and no one has come back with that complaint. Your mystery sounds like someone who likes to hear the sound of their voice.
Mike Battista
727 410 5212
Silver Dollar Firearms

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Matt,

I'm not sure if it is the same on the 682 Gold E Trap models but I have one and shot in the rain many times before I refinished it. It had the matte oil finish. I never experienced anything as you describe. I refinished mine with a high gloss TruOil finish only because I prefer the high gloss and not because of problems.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matt & Mike,

Thanks for the input so far. As I mentioned, this could be internet myth. On another forum, there is a target shooter saying he shot one of the above guns in a rainy tournament and finish came off like paste. On the same forum, a duck hunter is shooting one of the above mentioned guns and has no problems. I would say the duck hunter would be in worse conditions than the target shooter.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have shot my 686 SP many times in the rain with no noticeable effect. It has a hard gloss finish on it.

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
955 Posts
Shot a 682 the last 2 years at the MO Fall Handicap without any adverse effects. If it can survive that, it can survive most anything.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Any chance that the shooter(s) reporting this stock finish lifting may have had a heavy dose of insect repellent on their hands or face? I have had high concentration DEET repellents actually melt the plastic handle on a fishing reel.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have seen several different finishes on my B guns. My 682 Gold E has what appears to be a gloss epoxy like Browning. Anyone know what it is?

The 687 has a light gloss finish and was a show gun, kind of rare. Leather gloves will dull it a bit and many traditional finishes (I'm not an expert on that) are soft with rain and wear

There are also dark oil finishes that are easy to touch up.

I wouldnt let such a concern bother you; they're great guns and retain resale

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Only ones I've seen were oil finish that got spotty because they never received enough coats to soak in deep enough..I always put a few extra on then steel wool to soften the gloss and fill pores

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I wonder if those guns that spotted were from the early 2000's.

Right after I left Kolar, Three sporting clay shooters came into my shop with spotted 686 sporting models. All three purchased guns at the same time, and all three shot in the rain the same previous weekend.

I tried some extra fine steel wool on them but the cloudy opaque spots appeared as deep as the finish. We decided to send the wood to Beretta along with their bill of sale and Beretta relaced all of the wood at no charge.

Those three were the only ones I ever saw since.

Doug

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I have an old 682 Gold. The only trouble I have shooting in the rain is my glasses get hard to see through.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
If you clean and wax your stock with a wood wax, it'll look great in dryness. However, in rain it not only comes off like paste, it is paste. I've experienced this first hand on a CG. Always use an oil rub.

blade819

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I've got a 686 WhiteWing with the gloss finish, never had any problems at all. Shot skeet in the snow yesterday with it, and just wiped it down.

Wayne

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon 2 with what I consider a nine looking stock. I had it out in the rain only once and the finish on the stock changed. It became dull. Since it doesn't seem to be a common problem I'm thinking maybe Beretta, for a time, tried a different finish on their wood. With my limited knowledge I'm sure I would only make it worse by trying to fix it. Larry Marvier

·
Registered
163 Posts
I shoot a 687 Silver Pigeon 4. I've shot it in the rain on many occasions without a problem with the finish. The only problem I've had related to rain was at Savannah a couple of years ago. It was really hot, right around 100 degrees in July and the humidity was terrible. We shot almost a complete round in the pouring rain. The gun was hot both from shooting and from the previously sunny day and when the stock got wet, soaked actually, the stock swelled a bit and that caused the start of a hairline crack near the back of the receiver near the top of the grip. Wood will swell when wet and hot, but that's not the fault of the stock. I stopped shooting it and finished with my BT99. I took it home and let it sit in the air conditioned house for a couple of weeks and then repaired the crack. The stock is fine and still going strong today. Through it all the finish never changed.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have a oil Finnish on a high end Perazzi it will spot some in rain,I clean it with Murphys oil soap and solves problem.

Buster

1 - 19 of 19 Posts