Trapshooters Forum banner

Has a high rib helped your shooting?

8345 61
Has a high rib helped your trapshooting?
I have a couple of flat rib sporting shotguns and a Krieghoff KS5 Speical with a medium rib.
I just sold a Browning CXT.

I sometimes think I miss a clay because I lift my head but don't realize it.

Lately I've been thinking I should buy a high rib gun, like a Fabarm Axis RS12 trap to help overcome
the head lifting.

I am well aware it's the shooter and not the gun but the gun can make a difference.

Thanks for your insights.
Dan
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
3,965 Posts
Check out this older thread started by Phil Kiner:

· Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Tried high rib barrels on my k80s and went back to my flat rib barrels. If you have the chance to try a buddy’s gun for a few rounds I suggest you do so before plopping down your cash. Know a few guys who love em, know many others, like me, who do not get along with them. Like anything, it comes down to personal preference and like. Good luck and good shooting, Ret

· Vendor
20,926 Posts
I like my mid-high Perazzi RS rib. so far this year shooting it well, but it may be trigger timing is the reason. I can shoot low rib or high rib. 110% high is my norm, rib at top notch, or space between beads.

· Registered
3,356 Posts
I shot a unsingle k-80 for years. Around 2010 I tried a trap special and I finally came to the conclusion it just wasn't going to work. Those mystery misses came to often and I finally decided to get rid of it and go back to my old gun. I got into a pretty bad slump with the high rib. There was days I'd shoot a 97-98 on caps and the next day I'd work like hell to keep it in the 80's. Just couldn't shoot it.

· Premium Member
32 Posts
Since you are already familiar with the KS5 Special, you may want to demo a Krieghoff KX6 Special. I know they are different guns, particularly with the offset stock and the higher rib, but similar enough for you to get a good idea on how a high rib gun shoots for you. The KX6 Special has plenty of adjustments you can make (that my be good or bad lol). For me it helped my scores tremendously. May not be the case for you, but worth a try.

· Premium Member
2,391 Posts
We all are made a little different and high ribs work good for some but I shoot off the end of the gun barrel and seem to shoot and setup better with lower rib guns. I also noticed when I tried unsingle guns that I had a tendency to cant the gun more.

· Registered
116 Posts
I have been shooting a high rib o/u for almost a year and it helped my doubles scores. Within the past two months I switched from a mid rib un-single to a high rib top single. I feel more comfortable shooting the high rib single because it stopped my tendency to crawl up the stock.

· Registered
541 Posts
Since switching to high rib guns my scores have improved. Perazzi MX-15 , Browning Universal High Post from GU (love that gun) CG Summit Impact. I shoot the Perazzi and Browning best. The CG is ok but can;t get the 100 % high POI I like out of it . I like seeing in my peripheral vision a shadow of a rib instead of a barrel so much .
I previously had a KX-5 and Browning 725s with lower ribs found out the higher ribs worked better for me .Have a look at the Browning Universal High post , could be just the ticket.

· Premium Member
902 Posts
I had a 725 unsingle for about 3 years and fought it all the way being a high rib gun. Just could be not be consistant with it, found canting the gun was the problem. I always shot low rib guns with great results. Now i shoot a CG Summit trap top single and also a KX6 special. The KX6 special is a higher rib but doesn't bother me at all. Go figure! Good luck with your choice.

· Registered
642 Posts
Shooting with a high rib has enabled an easier head-up mount which relieved neck & back pain for me.

Without the high rib, I would have needed a HUGE drop at heel.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.