Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Grenade. A-10 Warthog. M2A1 Flamethrower. Or an 870 with an extra-full choke. Whatever it takes, as long as it reduces the number of them on my property I'm happy - I have a large number of them wandering about, and their only purpose in life seems to be annoying English Setters. Makes doing drills with the dogs more than a challenge.

I feel better now. Thanks for letting me vent. :)

Truth be known, for me and most of my buddies it's going to be the smooth-bore.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I've never seen or done that ,but a few years back I've seen people shooting geese with crossbows and the bolt went through every one of them . I got a Turkey some years back with a IM choke and with a #2 high brass Remington shell and the head from that turkey disappeared . Might have been a bit to close to him :) :)

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I use a Left Hand Remington Premier 1187 with 24" rifle open sited smooth bore barrel with an extended Remington Turkey extra full choke combined with Heavy shot. If he is anywhere out to 40 yards he is done. Best combo I have ever used.

1- Heavy shot.jpg

·
Registered
286 Posts
I use my LH Remington 870. I bought it back in 1971 with money I earned from delivering newspapers after school. It only shoots 2 3/4" shells but I've never had a problem killing gobblers with the factory full choke. I like #4's--Kent Shells---1 5/8 oz. The best shell IMO was Activ with the nickel plate shot. I loved that duplex load of 4x6. I believe that Kent bought Activ after they went bankrupt.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I use my LH Remington 870. I bought it back in 1971 with money I earned from delivering newspapers after school. It only shoots 2 3/4" shells but I've never had a problem killing gobblers with the factory full choke. I like #4's--Kent Shells---1 5/8 oz. The best shell IMO was Activ with the nickel plate shot. I loved that duplex load of 4x6. I believe that Kent bought Activ after they went bankrupt.
Good to know there are other south paws that like turkey hunting.

Always remember, If you are left handed that means you are always in your right mind. :3some:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use a Left Hand Remington Premier 1187 with 24" rifle open sited smooth bore barrel with an extended Remington Turkey extra full choke combined with Heavy shot. If he is anywhere out to 40 yards he is done. Best combo I have ever used.

View attachment 1677387
Hevi Shot Turkey loads are deadly but expensive. My deceased turkey hunting partner used them. They hit so hard there's no movement from the bird. 62 yds was drop dead kill shot. He used a red dot scope. I shot Hornady turkey shells which were priced right and deadly. Amazing how turkey shells have improved. Good hunting everyone.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Got quite a few with a 12 ga. Moss. 500 Xtra full choke and Fed 2-3/4" # 6 shot. Last 2 I got were with my Model 42 Winchester 410 with 3" 3/4 oz # 6 shot. No 40 yd. shots with that gun though.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Hevi Shot Turkey loads are deadly but expensive. My deceased turkey hunting partner used them. They hit so hard there's no movement from the bird. 62 yds was drop dead kill shot. He used a red dot scope. I shot Hornady turkey shells which were priced right and deadly. Amazing how turkey shells have improved. Good hunting everyone.
I want shoot over 40 yards, (super pattern at 40yds.) most are under 25, longest this year was 32. I shoot open sites, makes me pay close attention to detail and one less thing to deal with. As far as shell expense, I have had 2 boxes (10) shots, for 2 years, I have 4 remaining with (2) used for pattern shots and 4 birds in the freezer. So looks like I am good for (2) more years with shells. Shells are the least expensive thing involved in hunting turkeys, yet, the most important.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
391 Shooter....great post. My buddy spent $5 vs my $1.25. Just ribbing him about the cost and red dot vs my open sites. His 62 yd shot was a misjudged distance out of my blind. Good luck with the remaining shells. Upon his death we gave his remaining Hevi Shot shells to youngsters he taught turkey hunting. BTW, he died in the woods turkey hunting by himself and was found 3 days later by a hunter.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
391 Shooter....great post. My buddy spent $5 vs my $1.25. Just ribbing him about the cost and red dot vs my open sites. His 62 yd shot was a misjudged distance out of my blind. Good luck with the remaining shells. Upon his death we gave his remaining Hevi Shot shells to youngsters he taught turkey hunting. BTW, he died in the woods turkey hunting by himself and was found 3 days later by a hunter.
WOW: "BTW, he died in the woods turkey hunting by himself and was found 3 days later by a hunter."

FWIW, I let my wife and a friend know where and when I am going into the woods and about when I will be back. Ya never know and in this day and time, communication is quite easy from any location, (most of the time, but, not always). If I am in a no contact area I tell her if you do not hear from me by such and such come find me. Kind of like having a float plan for the woods. Normally I send a GPS pin drop to her and a friend where I will be set up at. Sample attached below. I am 68 and ya never know.

Pin drop Map.jpg

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Definitely a good plan. My friend lived alone and kept to himself. Looks like he died from a heart issue and it was quick. His gun was still in his lap. BTW, don't deny you need medical help. He was stubborn and wouldn't go with me to hospital ER two weeks before it happened. He had no cell coverage at his location. BUT, he died doing what he loved.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Definitely a good plan. My friend lived alone and kept to himself. Looks like he died from a heart issue and it was quick. His gun was still in his lap. BTW, don't deny you need medical help. He was stubborn and wouldn't go with me to hospital ER two weeks before it happened. He had no cell coverage at his location. BUT, he died doing what he loved.
"BUT, he died doing what he loved." :smilie_flagge13: Amen and may he R.I.P.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I Turkey hunt with a 12ga. 835 Mossberg, but I've taken 6 Turkey with my Matthews bow. 2 in the spring season and 4 in the fall season while hunting deer in archery season.
I also have the Moss 835 in the wetlands camoclad - won it at a gun raffle 10+ years ago.. I use it waterfowl hunting as my canoe gun.. kicks the snot out of me with 3 1/2 goose shells, but goes bang every time and makes a great backup paddle.... killed a lot of geese with that gun.

Found a shorter barrel in woodland camo for it on craigslist a while back for almost free - use that during turkey season with a xtra full choke and my reloads - .. gobble... gobble... bang.. so that is my go-to for turkey season.

I have killed 2 with bow over the years - both while deer hunting. One from a treestand and one was just amazing luck. Walking back out of the woods late in the morning a few years ago, come up out of a a steep ravine - 10 yards away - jake is looking at me like .. well... like a deer in the headlights.. I am not sure who was more suprised - him or me.... 5 minutes later he was slung over my shoulder headed to the truck.. I usually give jakes a pass but I had to take this one

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
I also have the Moss 835 in the wetlands camoclad - won it at a gun raffle 10+ years ago..
BDOG22 like you I won mine in gun raffle also, in the mid 90's. It has the Mossy Oak camo. I've taken alot Turkey with that shotgun over the years, even took it Grouse hunting at times. I have a .680 Kicks choke in it for Turkeys.

·
Registered
743 Posts
BDOG22 like you I won mine in gun raffle also, in the mid 90's. It has the Mossy Oak camo. I've taken alot Turkey with that shotgun over the years, even took it Grouse hunting at times. I have a .680 Kicks choke in it for Turkeys.
Smoke - I have been happy with it (especially since the cost to me was a 3 for $10 raffle ticket), but candidly not sure I would have bought an 835.

When I bought the shorter barrel it came with a Truglo extra full choke. It also had the fiber optic front/year sights from Truglo. The barrel was dirty as all h3ll.. spent a lot of time cleaning it. Don't remember what I paid, but it was something like $20 for the barrel and choke. The camo patterns don't match (gun to barrel), but never had a bird complain about it, unless that is what all that gobbling was about... I still use the original barrel for waterfowl..

Good luck this season - be safe out there in the turkey woods..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts