Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's in the field and how's it going?
I have my fingers crossed that we make it through with little complications so i'd like to wish all of you good luck with a safe and speedy harvest. Keep 'em clean and drag the chain!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just gearing up, start next week. In north east Iowa this morning, heavy rains, ten inches overnight in some areas, significant flooding predicted. Combines parked, water running everywhere. Glad I farm somewhere else.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Western Minnesota just barely started Soybeans. Rained for 3 days now and looks like another day anyway.

Record size crops for our area. 60-70 bpa

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
They are finally cutting silage, soybeans, and corn in central KY, started this past weekend.
Weather is good, has been really dry this month, things were still green at start of month.

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Wishing everyone a safe harvest season. In my surrounding area, the fields are very soggy but should dry nicely (if the rain stops) as the majority of acres are tiled. Farmer friends are suggesting 200+ bpa corn and 50-60+ bpa beans. Hope weather cooperates and commodity prices improve.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
How about giving some yield reports in your area. From what I see driving from the roads in west-central Illinois, appears to be a bin buster.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
it is bad wet here. corn silage harvest has been delayed and generally troublesome when and where folks have been able to go.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Drove west from Waterloo today, one bank out wagon sunk to the axle. Into South Dakota before we saw a combine running. Muddy fields everywhere.

·
What squad am I on?
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope your harvest is rolling along smoother than what I'm experiencing...What a mess. Machine complications and seems like a constant struggle to keep moving. Just enough rain to stop some while others are plowing through the mud...I actually had one of our customers send me a video of them shelling in rain/hail thunderstorms Sunday afternoon in NW Ohio. What a mess. I haven't had the time to shoot for over two weeks and I think I'm experiencing withdraw :(

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Our local John Deere dealer sold 14 sets of $70,000 tracks for combines. Won't quite go thru water but almost, especially if you have rear wheel assist on your combine.
One local farmer had his older conventional Gleaner combine stuck and he jerked it at an angle to get it out and bent or sprung the whole machine. Junk now.
We are at about 75% on corn harvest and 90% on soybeans.
Record crops for our area but it's really been a struggle to get harvested.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Wettest October on record here in Oregon. About 40% done. Put mudder tires on the combine, keep slugging. For the first time in my life, I combined in the rain Sunday. What a year! Yields are good though.

·
What squad am I on?
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

That spot looks a little soft but she'll make it across...

·
Molon Labe
11,984 Posts
Talked to my buddy in NW Iowa the other night, he only had 250 acres of corn left, has already combined about 2000, said everything was yielding very good some places close to 300 BPA on corn and some 75+ in beans, too bad they aren't worth much

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Finished today, We have had a good fall to get everything out and to do field work. Really dry in my area center pivots have been running on wheat. Could use some rain here.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Only one of my grain farming friends had a good harvest this year, most had below average to poor yields, fortunately the price was nice and high, so 70% of them did not suffer a loss. Talking of the guys planting on dry land, the guys under pivots made a killing.

City folk mentality gets me though, we have been on water restrictions for a while now, our main water supply reservoir is at 28% and some people are still watering their lawns.

We ran a small feedlot, in March, we made the call not to buy weaners in again. South Africa is experiencing the worst and most widespread drought in my lifetime. Send a few drops our way.

·
Premium Member
8,016 Posts
Went to the store and bought mangoes and a pineapple no scarecrow or hay wagon ride in sight. Did see a bunch of turkeys holdin hillary signs though I gave them the traditional one finger wave and air horn in their face. Does that say harvest time?
Aloha

·
Premium Member
18,257 Posts
Corn is pretty well all cut here in the Texas Panhandle, but the maize harvest is still going on. Got a little rain today and some due for the rest of the week, so it will be next week anyway before they can fire back up.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts