Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just recently watched the Harlan Campbell clinic video and was wondering if any shoots like him? Did it take you awhile to switch to his style, and also do you like the style?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I took his clinic,bought his video and watched it.tried his way just didn't work for me. Some like it and some wont.
I took his clinic twice and yes I have the videos and watched them several times. I did this as I was getting back into trap shooting after a 30 year hiatus. Harlan is a great person and a fantastic shooter. I did learn from his clinics and the videos, but realized I was a one eye shooter after a private instructor put a dot on my glasses. I then took Nora's clinic and got the "AH HA MOMENT". If you are a 1 eye shooter Harlan's method may be a little harder for you. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I took his class last fall, I couldn't hit singles worth a damn, 2019 average was a terrible 83.25, I had to scratch several events because of health reasons so that hurt the average as well as just shooting like crap. Since taking his class and shooting his style my 2020 average is 91.18 on singles and my last 6 scores are averaging 94.33, not that impressive but better than the past several years. Still working on Handicap from the 25 yard line, but getting better. His style is not for everyone but it is working for me.

·
Banned
2,087 Posts
I have 8 Trapshooting Videos and have combined what I think are the best methods from each Instructor.

So for the last 5 years of shooting I have been doing it their way and my way.
2020 Patdh -Med..jpg

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Years ago, I saw the trailer for Harlan's video on line., Liked it. Watched Harlan shoot at the Minnesota State Shoot. Liked it. Bought the video. Liked it. Took Harlan's two day clinic. Loved it.

Last week shot at the Minneapolis Gun Club, and was told that my mechanics were flawless. Foot placement, stance, gun mount, and minimal movement to the target. Broke the first 25 (since last) October) straight. Now I have been at this game for a while and have had wandering levels of commitment and competitive attitudes (see Thread on Club Shooter or Competitive Shooter).

One focus was to remove as many variables in thought and equipment as possible. I know my gun and its settings, I l know the ammo I use, I know the mechanics. Harlan gave me that. So to sum it up. Harlan helped me prepare in a great way. The rest is up to me.

Cheers, Dusty

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
This might be an unpopular opinion but I've been fortunate to spend some time picking the brains of 3 of the most successful shooter/coaches ever: Harlan, Phil, and Kay. Years ago I came to the conclusion that Harlan's 'press', Phil's 'eliminate the muzzle flip during the shot', and Kay's 'lock up the gun and shoot from the hips' style of teaching are 3 very similar concepts explained and taught in 3 very different ways. They are all designed for the shooter to control the pattern and to deliver the shot exactly where it needs to go, time after time after time.

Note that my attempt to describe their style are purposely poor and simplistic summaries of very advanced concepts.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Isn't it ironic a shooter with a 83 average can take a clinic, raise his average to 93 and then say the clinic was a waste of time and money.

Ron Burdick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just recently watched the Harlan Campbell clinic video and was wondering if any shoots like him? Did it take you awhile to switch to his style, and also do you like the style?
I took Phil Kiners clinic when I first started shooting and it helped a lot. I progressed to a point then plateaued. My club sponsored Harlan for a two day clinic and his technique clicked with me. I went from B class singles to just half a point from AA and Hdcp 22yd to 25yd in one season. You have to try different teachers till you find one that fits your style.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I took Harlan's clinic last May and I thoroughly enjoyed his class. He is meticulous in his approach and can break things down mathematically in a way that makes perfect sense. Point of impact, soft focus/hard focus, hold points, I could go on and on but it was well worth the time to attend. There are alot of great shooters that aren't great teachers. Harlan is a great shooter AND teacher. I haven't taken any other classes but his, and I am sure other shooters/coaches are fantastic. Individuals like Kay Ohye, Phil Kiner, Nora Ross, etc etc. I have heard nothing but great things about ALL of them. All I know is that I took his class and the week after I made the 27 yard line at the Great Lakes Grand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have watched his video and feel that it has helped me greatly. I was having trouble shooting over the target from time to time. After i switched to a higher hold that seemed to eliminate that problem. It worked for me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts