Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Have a Bt-99 plus (newer model) The stock comb hardware has been a PITA since day one. I had a gunsmith epoxy the hardware on the top part of the comb because they were backing out. Now the screws holding the bottom metal plate to the stock are backing out. Only reason I noticed it was because it was wiggling as I shooting.

What can I do to keep them from backing out again? someone told me toothpicks?? but the way he made it sound was a bandaid versus a permanent fix. I was thinking epoxy, but will that prevent me from getting the screws out at a later time w/o ripping the wood out with it??

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I have had the same thing happen with my guns too, after hammering several hundred rounds through it the hardware does loosen. A little drop of Blue Loctite will cure the problem and when you NEED to get them out, you can. You may have to repeat after several months. Steve

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Sounds like Browning's comb hardware hasn't changed one bit. The problem you describe is notorious for Browning's modern comb hardware.

The real fix:

Have a stock smith install quality replacement comb hardware such as that made by Graco or Stock Postioning Systems. Also, Tron on here can help with that replacement.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had the same thing happen with my guns too, after hammering several hundred rounds through it the hardware does loosen. A little drop of Blue Loctite will cure the problem and when you NEED to get them out, you can. You may have to repeat after several months. Steve
Loctite works for metal screws into wood? perfect as I have a bottle of it at home as the set screws that nkeep the comb tight have been loosening since day 1

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Loctite works for metal screws into wood? perfect as I have a bottle of it at home as the set screws that nkeep the comb tight have been loosening since day 1
I was refering to screws going into metal hardware, but there are many different formulas of Loctite for all applications. http://www.ellsworth.com/resources/ask-the-glue-doctor/ try this site and ask, and here is Loctite's official web http://www.loctite.com/index2.php?cc=us
I have used several grades of their products and have always had good luck. Steve

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
Beretta TR1
563 Posts
My son was having the same issue with his XT. During the 2013 Cardinal Classic last year, two of the screws that held the metal plate to the comb fell out completely. It is a 2007 model BTW. Luckily, we have a certified Browning gunsmith locally so we had him replace the comb hardware completely. No problems since.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Throw the junk outfit in the trash. Have a COMPETENT stock person replace the whole unit. at the Grand, there will be several on the grounds who can do the job overnight....Tom Larkin (the stock shop), Phillips gunsmithing, Rods, Keith Heeg, and many more. There is NO fix for the original Browning unit other than complete replacement. This is a common problem and many stock men have good replacement units.......merlyn

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I had the same issue, plus the butt stock bolt loosened up on me in the middle of the shoot. I pulled the bolt and the stock, put some blue locktite on that. For the upper comb hardware, I pulled the small screws and with a toothpick worked some wood glue down into the holes and put the screws back in. So far so good for that repair.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have, in the past, put epoxy into the holes in wood and let it set up, then carefully drill a hole in it just a bit smaller than the screw to be used and use the same screw. All it really does is give a stronger base and tale any slack out. It works but I agree that having a BETTER system installed is preferable. I have two XT's, one shot a ton and one not so much. I replaced the Factory original parts on one and the other came without it. I had a Gracoil installed. I suggest that you do as above---have someone re-do it. Doug Hubbard will be at the Grand. He is good and reasonable. He has done a lot of work for me and always gives very good service. His number is 573 286 9905

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a problem with the post working out on my Beretta, tried everything, I finally took it to Rods Custom Stocks, Rod did a great job fixing it, he also added a soft comb and a new Kickeze pad. I won the singles in the next shoot I attended with a 99. I would recommend you visiting Rod at the next big shoot, he is worth the money !!!!!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
+1

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Brownings comb hardware has always been second rate to a tinker toy. You would think they would do something different. When I was shooting Browning XT I purchased the gun without an adjustable comb and then had a good one cut in it by someone who does it for a living. That way you should be good to go for a lot of rounds.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Why waste the time fooling with Browning's poor excuse for comb hardware, just replace it with aftermarket hardware. It is cheap enough to buy and works better than the original. Joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts