Trapshooters Forum banner

Hard shot that’s NOT

2626 Views 18 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Trucker52
What would it take for companies to list its ingredients, actual size and the true hardness of the shot being sold in the US? Now you pay extra for Magnum Shot with absolutely no certainty what the bag contains other than the weight.
Reactions: ashwood
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
8,103 Posts
We're reloaders. We don't have much choice. It's Eagle, Lawrence/West Coast or Rem STS. What else is out there?

I see CAC Associates has Spartan "magnum" "high antimony" shot made in the EU for $33/bag. I have not seen any reports on it yet.

· Premium Member
12,777 Posts
You want a real eye opener, start measuring the size.

+ and - 1/2 size is fairly standard these days (8s being 7.5s to 8.5s), and + and - one full size is not entirely uncommon (8s being 7s to 9s).
If you look at the SAAMI standard, they allow exactly a half pellet size tolerance either way from what is printed on the box or bag. So what you said is true, and within the tolerance of the standard that USA manufacturer's voluntarily follow.

So those 71/2's are a mixture of 8's , 7-1/2's, and 7's

The stuff made outside the USA? I'm not sure about.

· Premium Member
12,777 Posts
We're reloaders. We don't have much choice. It's Eagle, Lawrence/West Coast or Rem STS. What else is out there?

I see CAC Associates has Spartan "magnum" "high antimony" shot made in the EU for $33/bag. I have not seen any reports on it yet.
I tested a sample from one bag of Spartan a while back. I was surprised to find it was Medium-Hard. But like Neil was fond of saying, that applies to only the melt of shot that bag came from.

· Registered
296 Posts
$33.80 a bag, actually. After tax, just a little under $36 per bag. In March I drove 4 hours to their place in PA and bought 20 bags. The Camry let me know that I had some additional weight in it. :)

Don

· Banned
2,714 Posts

I think Tim found Spartan a little harder than expected. Medium or medium-hard? I was expecting soft.

· Registered
617 Posts

I recently purchased a ton Spartan shot from CAC. I am very satisfied, nice shiny, round and measures consistent. I do not know its hardness but Tim said it was med. to hard , so I went with his testing. I actually prefer it over West Coast. I will purchase this shot again. Mike

· Registered
7,103 Posts
I tested a sample from one bag of Spartan a while back. I was surprised to find it was Medium-Hard. But like Neil was fond of saying, that applies to only the melt of shot that bag came from.
I miss Neil’s annual pattern tests. It was truly the only test that mattered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charleyj10

· Premium Member
12,777 Posts
I miss Neil’s annual pattern tests. It was truly the only test that mattered!
True, but there is good correlation between the hardness test and the pattern testing.

Hardness testing is easy.

Pattern testing is an ordeal.

You won't necessarily see a lot of difference in pattern testing between, say, pellets that measured "hard" versus pellets that measured "medium-hard."

But the difference between "hard" and "soft" is remarkable.

· Registered
152 Posts
What would it take for companies to list its ingredients, actual size and the true hardness of the shot being sold in the US? Now you pay extra for Magnum Shot with absolutely no certainty what the bag contains other than the weight.
I agree. Shotshell ammunition as well. Perhaps the omissions are deliberate at the hands of the manufacturers.

· Registered
1,539 Posts
And they were all B.S.
When tested, not one met the specification that was printed.
B&P is some of the softest shot in existence.
Absolutely! I've shot several flats of the HDCP 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 @ 1250 fps. Honestly, I had just as well shot my 1 oz. reloads 7 1/2 @ 1300 fps. (Lawrence). I cannot tell much difference but there is some......my 1 oz. reloads are a little better, and at the time was paying $90'flat plus freight. LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE......watch out for the marketing concept they are feeding you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.