Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on getting past the (phobia) trouble with the hard left targets on station #1? I'm a lefty & can't for the life of me keep up with the bird. I'll shoot 22-23's all day & the majority of misses are coming from these loss birds.. I've changed my stance & hold point more to the left & have compensated for the hard swing I have to deal with, & still with no luck. Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated as I'd like to get back on the "25" gravy train!
-thanks

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Next time you are at the range lock the trap machine on hard lefts. Shoot from station 1
and shoot the targets with your right eye closed. See if your problem goes away. If it does
we know that your problem is cross firing. HMB

·
Banned
197 Posts
I'm a left that shoots with my right eye closed because I'm right eye dominant. There are times when the hard lefts get away from me but for the most part I hold a bit off the left corner of the trap and do my best to pull the trigger only after I begin to track the target. Waiting is the hardest part.

·
Premium Member
6,022 Posts
Holding in on the trap instead of out ( built in momentum on acquiring target). I am sure your holding on the lid now if your one eyed, but go lower and see what happens. Finally, shortening the stock may help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ithaca - I'm a lefty too and had to work on this target each year to stay in tune. Also I have had to practice it when I was shooting one eye in the past and also now shooting two eyes. Here's what helps me. Go to a club where you can set the trap to throw all hard left targets. Then stand on post one and shoot 50 - 100 of that shot the more the better. You may need to repeat it a week later to burn it into your brain.
Soon you'll be crushing every one. This will build confidence in making the shot. Tip that helped try holding a little lower 6" and little out 6".

Nick

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm a lefty also what I do is swing passed as tho to miss it, I also do this on hard right on station 5. My problem is the soft right or hard right on station one, I can't seem to hit those consistently for the life of me. I'm cross eyed dominant and use the off eye patch and that has helped me a lot with that problem.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
As above, you need to shoot them lots, in a practice format.

The other thing you may want to look at is your foot positioning. Make sure that you stance is open enough that you can move to the target. If your stance is too closed, then you may be pushing the gun off your face. Try setting you feet more like this ... = as opposed to this ... "

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
I'd bet money your pulling the gun away from your face as you chase down the target. You can't move a gun with your arms. Learn to use your lower body!!!! I'll bet you run out of swing and finish off with your arms. As we age our bodies stiffen up on us. You may have to start using your legs to drive (turn) your waist which in turn will move the upper body and gun together. Good luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd bet money your pulling the gun away from your face as you chase down the target. You can't move a gun with your arms. Learn to use your lower body!!!! I'll bet you run out of swing and finish off with your arms. As we age our bodies stiffen up on us. You may have to start using your legs to drive (turn) your waist which in turn will move the upper body and gun together. Good luck and break em all. Jeff
I'm only 20 years old, I don't yet have the disadvantage of having my body stiffen up on me quite yet. But now that you mention the concept, I believe I do move my face off the stock when I try to catch up to the bird. I changed my stance & hold point already for that station, not enough though so if the bird decides to go right I'm able to get on top of it with ease. I think when I chase the hard left bird, I'm basically using 'just' my arms to follow through & catch up to it, (& taking my cheek off the stock). It's difficult to change once you're stuck in a pattern of things, I'll try & use your advice & follow through completely with my body & not lifting my head; thanks!

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Glad I was able to help you out!!!

I see your a newer shooter, So I know you'll work this out in short order and all will be fine for 6 months or so!!! Then you'll start having problems on the strait away's in 6 months!!! We'll help walk you though that problem as well. Its just part of learning the game. Best of Luck to Ya. break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you said you changed your hold, from where to where?
From the corner of the trap house & 6" high, to 4-6" left of the corner & probably 8 or 9" high of the trap house. The soft right or hard right birds I don't have a problem with, just the hard left on station #1.
I used to have this problem on station #5, with the hard right but not any more; I just do ^ what I said above and meet up with the bird when I pull the trigger, always aiming ahead of the target! I'm getting better @ that station though, on a good day I probably hit 4/5 of those hard rights. I'm left handed though so maybe that's why it's easier for me, not sure! :p

·
Registered
378 Posts
Try the exercise mentioned above where you call for the target with your eyes closed, then open you eyes and find the target. What strikes you about the target? If your like me, you will feel that the target looks very, very slow. Avoid engaging with the target, when its a streak rocketing out of the trap house. How do we do that?

Are you a two eyed shooter? If so, I think you are holding way to low. In my opinion, two eyed shooters should be holding feet not inches above the house. I place my gun at the point where the target goes from a streak to a solid well defined object. I then place my visual focus, lower just above the trap. This will avoid you having the feeling that the target is running away from you, instead you make a nice controled move to the target, match speed with the target, see a well defined gun-target sight picture and release the shot. I've included a diagram below.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you aren't a two eyed shooter, you need to be. Being a lefty, a hard left target requires about a 2 1/2 foot lead whereas a hard right requires a 1 to 1 1/2 lead. The difference is how fast you swing the gun. I'm right handed and eyed and the reverse is true for me.

Johnpe

·
Registered
521 Posts
Remember correct foot position. Try this, 8 inches in from left corner put the gun one to two feet over the front of the trap house or you can put the gun on the roof. Look over the gun as high as would would if you were standing straight up and looking out into the distance. Do not look so high that you will lift your head off the stock. Focus you you glance two to three feet to the left of the barrel looking for the left angle.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
I'm a one eyed left handed shooter. Outside of more practice I suggest giving the bird and yourself an extra second when shooting that hard left. Don't rush your shot which is what I believe is happening to you based on your description.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ditto what kentuckyduke says Also, practice trap isn't all about going out and shooting rounds and counting up scores. Set the trap for your weakness and practice improving on your weakness. But first make sure you are using proper fundamentals for your setup.

Go to a trap clinic and be willing to learn something new from someone that has accomplished more than what our buddies can teach us. If that can't work for you study the best shooters at your club or ATA meet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The best advice I received on hard rights on station 5 which is your equivalent of a hard left on station 1 is to put more weight on your front foot than you do at other stations. This maneuver really helped me to keep my gun down and not shoot over the target.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts