Trapshooters Forum banner

Handy primer picker-upper tool

1886 8
I've used this little tool for years to pick out the occasional inverted primers in the priming station. And loose primers wherever they may be. Nice, lightweight & angled and sticks to the MEC 9000 so it's always handy. I'm not sure what it is, it came from some fishing gear of mine years ago but I can't remember what. I have a regular magnetic pick up tool but its big and the magnetic is too strong. I suspect something similar could be made using a short dowel with a small refrigerator type magnet glued on the end. Perhaps this idea may help others.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,248 Posts
I've used this little tool for years to pick out the occasional inverted primers in the priming station. And loose primers wherever they may be. Nice, lightweight & angled and sticks to the MEC 9000 so it's always handy. I'm not sure what it is, it came from some fishing gear of mine years ago but I can't remember what. I have a regular magnetic pick up tool but its big and the magnetic is too strong. I suspect something similar could be made using a short dowel with a small refrigerator type magnet glued on the end. Perhaps this idea may help others.
View attachment 1745130 View attachment 1745131
Shower curtains in motels used to have a small round magnet about the size of a nickel in the bottom corners. liberated one years ago and am still useing it.

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,767 Posts
I drug my stubby screwdriver (same one used for charge bar screw) across a strong magnet and use to pluck primers out of the turret as necessary. It also holds the charge bar screw nicely, makes it easier to keep track of where it's at between bar changes.

If there's ever a hiccup in the primer tray, same magnet is placed on the bottom of the tray and slid to the back, pulling all the primers out of the way, holding them there while I address the issue. Once all cleared, remove the magnet and it's back to work.

· Registered
3,963 Posts
I use this pen-sized magnetic pickup tool from Harbor Freight.

View attachment 1745140
Also works well for picking up empty shells that may slip out of your hand when putting them back into your vest, especially useful for old arthritic backs that don't bend over so well. It will work with the primers in those all brass shell head cases and steel cases are a natural.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.