Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are good handicap shooters do you practice more handicap as compared to your singles game? By default I end up shooting more singles because most folks at my club feel comfortable at the 16y and I tend to go with the flow. I'm trying to improve my handicap game, but I find it difficult to get a lot of practice in. I'm probably shooting a 4:1 ratio.

·
Registered
20,619 Posts
I never practiced singles except as a morning warm up at a big shoot and in a league with my daughter. If you have to practice caps solo, just don't rush.

·
Registered
20,337 Posts
For those of you who are good handicap shooters do you practice more handicap as compared to your singles game? By default I end up shooting more singles because most folks at my club feel comfortable at the 16y and I tend to go with the flow. I'm trying to improve my handicap game, but I find it difficult to get a lot of practice in. I'm probably shooting a 4:1 ratio.
That is a problem at a lot of clubs. The casual, social, club shooters tend to shoot mostly singles and they are very regular at their clubs. Often 4 days a week they are there from opening until lunchtime. Skeeters run different schedules but the premise is the same. For a competitive, middle range, handicap shooter wanting to improve it can be tough to practice handicap under those terms. So if you can find a period during the day when traps aren't filled with the club regulars that is when you should try to shoot even if it is alone. Because you must practice handicap to get better at handicap. You have to shoot enough to learn your yardage inside out and then move back. Long yardage shooters must practice to maintain proficiency as well. Most clubs will accommodate if asked and open a field for handicap practice but it is tough when mid-short yards and long yards both need a field.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is the same problem with doubles in our area. No one wants to practice or shoot doubles,
so shooters who want doubles, can't get any practice, and hence numbers are down at shoots.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't want this to sound like a tale of woe, but... a few years ago I felt I only had to show up to shoot a 25 from the 16. My ATA average was 97.42 on 1300 targets. I was 27 yards, and unfortunately a good day was any score in the 90's. So I decided to only practice hcp. I even told a friend... "If you want to get stronger you don't need to lift the little 10 pound weights, go for the heavy stuff", meaning shoot long yardage to get better.

Well...after a lot of practice I got a little better at 27 yards by shooting quicker. You only need to move the gun a little to hit the front of the target from back there. But I was starting to quick shoot the 16's, and next thing you know I'm lucky to hit a 24, or even a 23 from the 16. That's not good!

So... if Phil Kiner says 16's first, then hcp... DO IT!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
Singles is practice for handicap.

If you can't center a singles target ("smoke" it, I mean really turn it inside out) you stand very little chance of centering a handicap target.

When you practice singles you want to practice centering the target. Thus the "choke for smoke" adage.

You don't want to just break the target into a bunch of pieces, you want to "boil it." Turn it into a churning black cloud.

You'll know what I mean when you see it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
two different games for me,Point of impact in caps is a whole pattern lower for me than singles,so a little rib adjustment when l shoot caps.l used a mono pod at 30 and 50 yards on pattern board to see this.
yes most practice at 16 at our club.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Singles is practice for handicap.

If you can't center a singles target ("smoke" it, I mean really turn it inside out) you stand very little chance of centering a handicap target.

When you practice singles you want to practice centering the target. Thus the "choke for smoke" adage.

You don't want to just break the target into a bunch of pieces, you want to "boil it." Turn it into a churning black cloud.

You'll know what I mean when you see it.
And that many do not understand.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is a problem at a lot of clubs. The casual, social, club shooters tend to shoot mostly singles and they are very regular at their clubs. Often 4 days a week they are there from opening until lunchtime. Skeeters run different schedules but the premise is the same. For a competitive, middle range, handicap shooter wanting to improve it can be tough to practice handicap under those terms. So if you can find a period during the day when traps aren't filled with the club regulars that is when you should try to shoot even if it is alone. Because you must practice handicap to get better at handicap. You have to shoot enough to learn your yardage inside out and then move back. Long yardage shooters must practice to maintain proficiency as well. Most clubs will accommodate if asked and open a field for handicap practice but it is tough when mid-short yards and long yards both need a field.
This pretty much sums up my situation. I shoot with a lot of great guys on the weekend from opening to 1pm and it's a great social gathering, but it does little for my handicap game. I might have to practice handicap at odd hours or buy a clay delay and shoot by myself.

·
Administrator
8,524 Posts
I look at my practice sessions as time that I spend maintaining my skills and working on areas that I feel I have to improve on. So I go into my practice time with a plan and being that I try to work on singles--caps and doubles each time I usually try to do 75 singles--75 caps--and at least one round of doubles.
If you just do one discipline per session that usually means that you do not get to work on all aspects of your trap game.
I recommend keeping some notes as if you try different things during a practice session you will not cover ground that did not prove productive. As a example say you tried to use a extra washer to raise you POI for handicap and it did not work out the way you wanted it to say after 75 - 100 then you can at least have a ref.
In my handicap practice sessions I usually work on my consistency in my gun mount--hold points and getting my eyes in the right place to see that target as soon as possible.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
I shoot the 27 yard game entirely different from the 16 yards game. I am a one eye shooter. At 16 I hold high over the house, front corners on 2 & 4 and a foot outside on 1 & 5. I look right at the house to pickup the target. At 27, I hold the bead on the front edge and bring the hold points in.

Consequently, I have to practice both methods but not usually by shooting rounds with other shooters. I practice by myself shooting 10 to 25 on a post and sometimes with the trap locked to throw a particular angle.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
I try to shoot perfect form on singles which in turn makes me try to do the same in handicap. If it was up to me , we would reinstitute 200 singles at our State Trapshoot for class singles. I would name them"Terry Dean Annual Class Singles".
My 2 cents.

Charlie

·
Registered
613 Posts
My club is a little different where it seems we get a lot of guys who shoot 16. And a lot who want to do 27 but not a lot in the middle. Normally I try and shoot on off hours to get practice around the 20-22

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
I'm fortunate @ Robinson Ranch, Tom will open a field for caps & or doubles when a shooter requests to shoot what ever-he will also set a field up for wobble. too

Being an all ERAD club makes this very easy

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
947 Posts
I hardly ever go to the club to shoot practice. When I do I shoot 1 round of 16 and then usually have to shoot a 27 yards by myself. The Bellingham, WA club ends it's day with one round of doubles on a normal Sunday and Wednesday afternoons in the summer months.

PD

1 - 20 of 48 Posts