Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been about a year since I've read the complete rule book so I thought I would read it for a refresher. At the top of page 21 it states:

It is not permitted to have more than one 50 and/or 75 target Handicap event in a registered tournament in any one (1) day.

I believe the 50 targets is referring big 50's and that makes sense but my question is what is the 75 target rule about? Is there 75 target events?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Broncofan:

If I remember my past rulebooks correctly, I think the rule you quoted has existed for a long time, pre-dating the existence of Big 50s.
A 75-target event is rare (can be 16s or Handicap), but any club is free to hold such events if they want to.
By the way, a 50-target event is not required to be a "Big 50" . . . a club is free to hold it as a normal ATA event (i.e., not using the special Big 50 rules from the rulebook). Of course, in such a case, it's only 50 targets instead of the more traditional 100 or 200.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’d never seen it before either. I guess with it being just 2 lines at the start of the page, I probably just went to the next section title.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
The rule is there for Handicap so the club can't get around the earned yardage rules. An example would be, shoot two 50 bird handicaps instead of one 100 bird handicap and thus not do yardage punches. There are similar rules for marathon shoots where the total number of individual shooters comes into play regardless of how many are shooting "each" event.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
The reason for limiting the 50 bird events to one a day was to prevent a scheme that people devised to avoid punches. ---example --If a shooter shoots 50 straight in a big 50 he or she gets a punch BUT ,lesser scores do not, so a person could possibly shoot a 49 in two separate events and avoid a punch where as if they shot a 100 target event they would get at least a yard. Some clubs were doing it until the ATA stopped the practice. Now only ONE 50 bird handicap is allowed per day.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
The rule is there for Handicap so the club can't get around the earned yardage rules. An example would be, shoot two 50 bird handicaps instead of one 100 bird handicap and thus not do yardage punches. There are similar rules for marathon shoots where the total number of individual shooters comes into play regardless of how many are shooting "each" event.
Didn't see your post until after I posted frosty . You beat me to it.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
A side note.
A handicap event that was scheduled for 100 was shortened to 50 after a rain delay.
Shooters completed the event before dark and were issued a refund for the unshot 50 targets.
At the same shoot a shooter skipped post 5 in the shoot- off.
Management allowed him to go back out and shoot post 5 by himself.
There was alot of folks reading the rules and many had different interpretations.
Henry

·
Registered
68 Posts
There was alot of folks reading the rules and many had different interpretations.
Henry
Henry, we have 1 trusted soul to read rules. If something concerned him, he brings in his trusted soul, and they hash it out. Very few objections or appeals afterwards, but it’s made with the sport in mind.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
A side note.
A handicap event that was scheduled for 100 was shortened to 50 after a rain delay.
Shooters completed the event before dark and were issued a refund for the unshot 50 targets.
At the same shoot a shooter skipped post 5 in the shoot- off.
Management allowed him to go back out and shoot post 5 by himself.
Henry
Henry I see your point but , in the "first " case you mentioned those folks did not "complete" the event and were given refunds . This was a 100 target event ,and Even though some shooters did not "complete" the 100 targets ,that event was still a "100 bird" event and recorded as such . In the case of an event being officially shortened to 50 birds for weather , then it still recorded as a "50 bird event ". Once it is declared a 50 bird event the 50 bird Handicap per day rule "still applies" ,and the club could not have another 50 bird event on the same day

1 - 10 of 10 Posts