Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that a number of good shooters put an additional spacer under their comb when moving back to long handicap yardage. This obviously raises the POI. Why is it important to raise the POI ?

John

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I would also like to read responses. I understand why a high POI is useful at Trap, but why would one need a higher POI from handicap? Martinpicker

·
Registered
998 Posts
You took classes from Harlan and Leo they never explained it? Just curious.

Actually no need to raise POI in Hcp because the movement is much less.

Barry Kemper

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Phil Kiner recommends raising the comb for Handicap while Frank Little did not recommend it. Personally FWIW I set my gun up for Handicap and learned how to shoot Singles with it after many targets.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I use the same POI from the 16 to the 27. No need to change anything.

I used to add a shim as I started gaining yardage as I was trying to figure it out. Harlan showed me that it wasn't necessary and he was right. Just one less thing to think about.

·
Premium Member
11,721 Posts
Some do, some don't.

The theory is that it takes a little longer for the shot to get there from 27 than it does from 16, and therefore in that time, the target has climbed just a bit higher.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Set up the gun to break the targets hard in handicap. I have always set the comb to shoot a little low, then went to the 27 yard line on post three. With the targets oscillating shoot about 10 targets and observe the breaks. Now add a 1/8 inch spacer and repeat, and another 1/8th inch spacer and repeat. Very soon you can see the adjustment that gives you the hardest breaks. This is the time to stop adjusting, you have now found the POI that works best for YOU with this gun and load. Leave the wrench at home you do not need it any more.

Then it is no problem to shoot it for singles and doubles. It's lead thru the barrel, in other words, stop adjusting the gun and learn to shoot it by repetition.

I know some of you will poo poo this method, but it worked for me. I am #50 on the Grand Slam list so what I'm telling you is what worked for me, it's not B/S. Give it a try I'm sure your scores will improve.

Tom Strunk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mr. Strunk knows his business....What he said is correct. Get your gun breaking handicap targets hard....singles and doubles are secondary. It's repetition after that.....

·
Registered
726 Posts
I always heard that if you can smoke a target at the 16 yard line you will smoke it at 27. I think Frank Little used to say that. Sorry about your Packers Jack, it was a tough loss.

·
Vendor
19,361 Posts
Hugo. I only root for the pack when the other NFC North teams have been eliminated. I'm from Chicago. I root for the Bears, live near the Vikings, hate that idiot Schwarz that just got his ass canned and hate the Packer fans. The only thing going for the pack over the years is the best QBs in the league. Packer fans are insufferable.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
michmoe, heard the statement early in my life. Not sure who first used it but I have plenty, almost. My viewing is more "a smoked target up close equates to a broken target from the back".

·
Registered
726 Posts
pheasantmaster, yes that would make more sense. Kind of kills the use of a more open choke up front if you ever want to have success at the fence.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
"Straight Talk" by Ron Sutton in January's issue of Trap & Field talks about good singles hits and handicap shooting. Page 20.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts