Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

what does everyone mostly use for hand priming? I have the RCBS hand priming tool and at times it is less then desirable. Just wondering if there is anything else out there better. I got it with the kit so I initially didn’t have a choice.

Thanks

Travis

Attachments

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I put the hand priming tool in the drawer and left it there. I broke two Lees, bought a RCBS, and broke a Lee bench primer. I use a ram prime on the press right now. I like the positive way it feels seating the primer. I am going to buy a new Redding Boss press in a month or so and it has a good on the press auto feed primer seater.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
The old Lee hand tool. I found a way to make the new thumb levers work with the old setup. When the two primer tray covers I have crap out, I'll have to change. Probably get a bench mounted setup then.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I have used the Lee priming tools since they came out. The old one was well built but slow. The newer ones had a tray and were much faster. Cannot find the heads for the old ones any more, wish I had bought all I could when I could. Regards, Bob

·
Premium Member
12,512 Posts
I have used the Lee priming tools since they came out. The old one was well built but slow. The newer ones had a tray and were much faster. Cannot find the heads for the old ones any more, wish I had bought all I could when I could. Regards, Bob
View attachment 1658047
Occasionally I see one at a gun show. It's a guaranteed sale for him.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Depends on what l am loading for. Precision shooting, SinClair. Rest, use the press or talk someone into priming the brass in return to them shooting some.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
The two Lee hand primers on the right side of Smithy47's photo is one generation older than the current hand priming unit by Lee. The new ones are the next best thing to totally worthless.

The current RCBS hand primer doesn't require shell holders. It uses a spring type mechanism that accommodates multiple rifle and pistol calibers. The RCBS is somewhat better than the 'new' Lee unit but it still isn't worth a damn.

PS: I scored a pair of the old Lees as part of an estate sale. Otherwise, I'd be looking for a bench mounted unit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts