Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being an unusually tall shooter, and since over half of the recoil pad is sticking up in the air when I shoot, I can either adjust the pad way down and kind'a sort'a fix the problem, or I can go on a heads-up shooting adventure. I'm opting for the latter.

We will fabricate the adjustable comb posts to +1", and then I will start with the pad in the neutral position, again.

But of course I have to drop the muzzle the same amount, by adding rib height. So my question to those of you who have been there, should I consider an adjustable "mini" 16" rib, or go for the full length one?

I'm assuming that the Adjustarib products are as good as any?

This will all go on a Ljutic mid-rib or tall rib gun, and I'm a one-eye shooter, if that makes any difference in the target acquisition issues on the short vs. long ribs.
Thanks.
dju

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
David,

You stated that you are a one-eye shooter and most likely hold down on the house. If this is correct a Short Rib or Full Rib makes no difference for the simple fact that you are always chasing the target above your Barrel/Rib. However, if you where a two-eye shooter, holding a higher gun, the Short Rib would be a good option for the simple fact that it allows for quicker target acquisition because you have less rib abstructing your view.

As far as making your own Rib, be carefull as you need to make sure your barrel is regulated properly to the Rib.

Good luck,

Rich

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rich:
Please eleborate about regulating the barrel to the rib. I assumed that it was a clamp-on affair that required some patterning board time before it ever saw a rock. More to it?
Thanks for your response.
dju

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Been there and done that. I've installed at least 6 different types of add-on ribs to my Ljutic. Both adjustable, non-adjustable and homemade. After screwing around with ribs for a couple of years, I went back to the regular Ljutic Mid Rib. Given the choice today I think I would go with the Standard high rib from Ljutic rather than screwing around with the others.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
David, one thing you should consider is how the gun will feel with a one (plus) inch gap near the top.

I've seen several shooters mount half-ribs for a while. When I mounted a gun with one and looked down the barrel it looked fine, but it didn't stick around long. At the very least, it didn't help.

I certainly think that time the 13-yard pattern board is going to be required, but make sure you also do that _before_ you change anything, since that's the main reason to do it - to determine the POI change of any modifications you undertake.

Neil

·
Registered
83 Posts
Call and talk to jimmy ljutic. He can do a short rib conversion on your mono gun. Even for one eyed shooters there is far better vision due to nothing in front of your eye. I had this done to mine and i love it. Takes some getting used too as you see the target much clearer and quicker. Its worth the call.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hi David,

I'm over 6'6" and went/am going through the same gyrations as you. I am one eyed, with a magic dot, and prefer holding a high gun. I bought a Perazzi TMX special and the stock was so high that I couldn't look straight down the rib, the rib looked like it was shooting uphill at about a 30% grade. I took some 1/8" plywood strips and started clamping them to my barrel until I got a position where my head was more erect and I was looking down a flat rib. It turned out to be 5/8" of an inch.

I ordered the olympic addarib.

Several things...Holding a high gun, I believe the high rib actually obscures some vision for me, rather than opening it up. I say this because the barrel is now lower in my sight picture meaning it obscures anything below the barrel.

Because of this, if I were to do it again, I'd use the full length rib. The exception to this might be doubles, where the olympic rib would allow you to pick up the second bird quicker since it would already be above the height of your barrel when acquiring. I have a buddy, KenEnt here on TS, who let me try his Krieghoff with the high olympic rib and it felt great.

All that being said, I bought a 90-T HPAR to continue the experiment with one eyed, high gun, high rib, erect head shooting. The jury is still out, however, I am beginning to believe that if I want to hold a high gun, I'm going to have to shoot a low rib to let me see under the barrel, but if I want to go back down on the house with my holds, the high rib may work for me. So now it may be a decision for me on shooting style or gun hold, pick one...I'm going to go with shooting style for this year and see how it works out for me. I'm also going to go to a Nora Ross clinic and pick her brain on the subject.

Just my thoughts, best of luck,

Chip

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chip:
How do you see under the barrel if you are shooting 1 eyed?
I'm definitiely down on, or even well below, the trap house roof, so that isn't an issue.
Thanks for all your input.
Nothing is ever simple.
dju

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
David,

I cut my magic dots down to 7/16" with a hole punch. They only obscure my bead and a small circumference around it. I also mount them high on my glasses so that my underneath vision is not compromised.

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
My off eye lens has tape that covers half the lens. When holding the barrel above the the trap house I can look below the gun with my off eye and see the direction the target flies out of the house and move in that direction. When the target rises above the barrel, it's a short barrel move to break the target. This method works for me some times, but I prefer a low hold even with a high rib, everyone's different and this is what works best for me.

Surfer

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
One eyed shooter, small magic dot.

I was looking at a 3/8" rise in my rib after adjusting my comb to my desired POI.

Experimented with some things and decided to make my own. I don't know that a two eyed shooter could use this, but my one eye shooting works well with this. When I raise the gun to my shoulder and look at the rib, all I see is the bead sitting on my Mini-Rib. People who look at this and mount my gun, can't beleive what they see..I looks just like a regular rib only without the center bead..I was going to install a bead into this rib by milling a small slot lenghth wise and putting the bead in the slot, but this works so well I opted not to. I am off center a little with the camera but you can get the idea from these pictures..

This was just my invention, may not be for everyone.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Finally a thread with a breath of fresh air. LOL

Shotgunpeople, that's a great idea. Nice to see others trying to help out.

I don't have a fish in this barrel but one of the guys at the club has a 1/2 rib, like the pro's are using. He really likes it. I can't remember what he said about why he was using it.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Rick in MT

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As it stands now the plan is to order the Mini16" adjustable rib from AddARib and put it on the Olympic Tall rib Ljutic. Once that is on we will need to fabricate 2 posts for the raised comb. Anyone have experience making these; is it necessary to use brass?
Then I can raise the recoil pad back up a bit and it will still hit my full shoulder, not just the bottom 1/2.
I don't know if this is the "solution", but hey, its brutal cold and I need to mess with something.,..
dju

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
David,

I made my extra tall comb posts on my lathe, by cutting off pieces from two stainless steel bolts. I got the ones long enough so that they didn't have the threads for an inch and a quarter towards the hex. I cut off the threads, then the hex, and drilled through for bolt clearance.

I then counter bored the hole by using a drill the size to clear the Allen head bolt...I turned down the drill end of this drill to the hole diameter that I had previous drilled through, minus a few thousenths, to use as a guide. I used a carbide insert tool to accomplish this. I took "Baby" cuts until I got the correct diameter. This gave me the flat bottom effect in the bottom of the c'bore also. If you don't have a lathe, you can buy a Step Drill from any tooling magazine to do the job on your drill press. All you need is a "V" block, a vice, and some finess, to drill the holes in the stems. If your posts have a keys that fit in a groove, you will need to file these onto the stems. It can be fun, and rewarding to make your own posts...It just takes some imagination and patients.

I forgot to mention that you can buy the SS bolts the size you need (Inch or Metric) at the hardware store.

Merry Christmas, Dave the Shotgunpeople

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I bought stainless steel bar stock at local tool and industrial house cutting it to my required length. I then drilled and tapped the end of the new posts and screwed in allen head set screws locking them in place with loc-tite. I then cross drilled the posts so I could stick something like an allen wrench through the hole to make a "T" handle to screw and unscrew the post for adjustments. My only caution is to make certain the allen head set screws don't protrude past the nuts in the comb base into the wood. You can us the same method with Perazzi's factory hardware that screws into the bottom of the comb.

Tools required:
Vise or clamp to hold your work
electric drill or drill press
drill bit and tap
drill bit to cross drill the posts for "T" handle
two allen set screws
loc-tite

Surfer

·
Registered
144 Posts
Guys, I'll sure all of you are handy enough to make anything you might need. But all you have to do is call SPS at 16313196959 tell us what size and most likely we have all the posts in stock. They run about 18.00 per set. Ask for Ray or Joe. Happy New Year to all

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been trying for the last 3 days, Christmas Eve thru Thursday or Friday, but it goes to a recorder. Christmas Vacation?
dju

1 - 19 of 19 Posts