Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Thursday before Thanksgiving we had our first practice at Blue Grass Sportsmen's League in Wilmore, KY. Lexington Catholic High School had told me initially 12 kids had signed up. Then 27. When I arrived at BGSL the number had swelled to 41 with 34 showing up. They had almost as much fun as I did. Great kids, and lots of potential.
I challenge some of my fellow shooters to get their local school involved. I believe that the future of our sport involves introducing new shooters .

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
Good for you Charlie ! I hope everything goes well for you, I hope you are getting lots of help too. I just recently did a day clinic with a Boy Scout group that was interested in working towards their clay target badges and it was a lot of fun with a interesting group of kids. To see some kids who have never worked any type of firearm not even a air rifle and to see them break their first targets was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Charlie,
its stories like that that make the work so worth doing.
The growth these young athletes go thru in a year of competitive shooting matches is amazing. Not all of it is easy. But the strength it teaches them on the field transfers directly to the rest of their work.
Your making a difference.
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Every single youngster on my traps was breaking targets on their first night. Some were very good and I envision multiple kids being in 80_90 range, 100% were smiling. My kids must be tough, one little fellow showed up in a tee shirt and shorts, in 45 degree weather, at night, and refused additional clothing. Hopefully, another lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Good form Charlie!

Reactions: Charlie Becknell

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
On the Thursday before Thanksgiving we had our first practice at Blue Grass Sportsmen's League in Wilmore, KY. Lexington Catholic High School had told me initially 12 kids had signed up. Then 27. When I arrived at BGSL the number had swelled to 41 with 34 showing up. They had almost as much fun as I did. Great kids, and lots of potential.
I challenge some of my fellow shooters to get their local school involved. I believe that the future of our sport involves introducing new shooters .
Charlie, good for you. I started a High School trap team in 1974 and continue to help coach to this day. It would be impossible to relate all of the positive and satisfying experiences that goes along with the endeavor in which you have just undertaken. I wish you and your students the best.

Good shooting to all !
Steve Elliott

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey charlie! Awesome job getting trap shooting in ky! I would like to start one in scott county, any helpful information on getting started would be greatly appreciated! I would like to talk to you personally if you have time. My number is 5023706019.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey charlie! Awesome job getting trap shooting in ky! I would like to start one in scott county, any helpful information on getting started would be greatly appreciated! I would like to talk to you personally if you have time. My number is 5023706019.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aaron, I sent you a private message. I am a neophyte high school Trap instructor but I will be glad to help anyone who wants my advice.
Last night we had 30+ shooters at Blue Grass Traps . Big smiles and lots of targets were broken.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts