Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last week, a guy who normally shoots a couple of times a week with us indicated that he wouldn't be able to continue much longer due to his running out of primers. Several of us chipped in to keep him going a while longer, but we're wondering if it isn't going to come to pass that we will all be in the same situation. In checking several sources today, there is absolutely nothing available. Is anyone else seeing guys unable to shoot due to the lack of ammunition and/or components?

·
Registered
69 Posts
This last week, a guy who normally shoots a couple of times a week with us indicated that he wouldn't be able to continue much longer due to his running out of primers. Several of us chipped in to keep him going a while longer, but we're wondering if it isn't going to come to pass that we will all be in the same situation. In checking several sources today, there is absolutely nothing available. Is anyone else seeing guys unable to shoot due to the lack of ammunition and/or components?
I'm seeing more become available just lately. But I'm doing the same as you in helping other out so they can shoot also.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Honestly that's me. I have a couple of flats of cheapo promo shells and a couple of flats of good stuff. I shoot a box a week to stay sharp. Spend the rest of my club time drinking beer and cleaning up and loading traps. Last week there was a 3 day shoot, only shot 1 day, and caps only. Not whining about it, just the way it goes. My fly rods have had more use in the last 3 months than they have in the prior 3 years. I have a few hunting rounds left, but not enough for upland and duck seasons this fall, that is my main worry. The guns, camper, and dog are all useless with shells.

Reactions: big kahuna

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Club had Cheddites this past week but that was all. Better than nothing so folks bought some. I did sell a flat of my Estates to a buddy as he was about out and could not find ammo. He had plenty of primers so no help needed there.
Sooner or later it will ease up some, but when?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Since I'm not shooting competition anymore, I have sold some of my reserves of shells to guys in the club that do not reload. Around 10 flats.
I have let it be know if anyone is short on primers, I have a few batches of 500 to sell.
On one has needed them yet.
Hopefully to keep more people shooting.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Since I'm not shooting competition anymore, I have sold some of my reserves of shells to guys in the club that do not reload. Around 10 flats.
I have let it be know if anyone is short on primers, I have a few batches of 500 to sell.
On one has needed them yet.
Hopefully to keep more people shooting.
How many primers do you have?

·
Registered
32,271 Posts
Our weekly Wednesday club get together is now half of what it was a year ago and those who are attending are shooting half or less than what they once did. My components supplier is making 1/10 his normal income. He has shot and wads, but no powder and no primers for almost a year. I am hoping things turn around for him soon, otherwise he will have to get out of the business,

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm still seeing a decent amount of shooters but there has definitely been a decline. I now see every hull under the sun on the field from target loads to high base steel duck loads.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Happy to see trapshooters helping trapshooters stay in business! Similar sharing going on at my club. Three state shoots and the zone will deplete most of my reloads so limiting the number of boxes used in practice until reloading supplies start showing up.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I saw this mess coming and went overboard buying everything in sight. I mean I went on the hunt. Loaded up on Winchesters, Remingtons, Federals, all at good prices. Bought all the powder, and primers I could find. Man I was ready for civil war if it broke out. I tried and tried to get the guys at the club to follow suit, but nope, they wouldn’t believe me. Said it was all hype and fear mongering. I said well OK I tried. Now they are all crying over not having what they need. So I’m selling a little bit of my stash at old prices a little at a time to keep them going. My reward is getting to eat their rear out for not listening to me. I still have enough to get by probably until winter and things should be back to normal by then. I will jump on anything I see for sale though and put it back for some poor soul to keep on shooting.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I saw this mess coming and went overboard buying everything in sight. I mean I went on the hunt. Loaded up on Winchesters, Remingtons, Federals, all at good prices. Bought all the powder, and primers I could find. Man I was ready for civil war if it broke out. I tried and tried to get the guys at the club to follow suit, but nope, they wouldn’t believe me. Said it was all hype and fear mongering. I said well OK I tried. Now they are all crying over not having what they need. So I’m selling a little bit of my stash at old prices a little at a time to keep them going. My reward is getting to eat their rear out for not listening to me. I still have enough to get by probably until winter and things should be back to normal by then. I will jump on anything I see for sale though and put it back for some poor soul to keep on shooting.
So maybe.....had you not gone “ overboard”, and “ bought everything in sight”....there might have been something left for your buddies. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Well, let me clarify then. Multiple trips to Wal Marts, stores across the state, always left a considerable amount on the shelf. As I said, before the shortage, when things were normal, shelves were full and I took a small portion each trip. I’m not a hoarder or a scalper. I knew it was coming so I bought stock to help the guys and girls in my club that would not have the money to buy in bulk. thank you very much !

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
So maybe.....had you not gone “ overboard”, and “ bought everything in sight”....there might have been something left for your buddies. Just a thought.
Hey Grasshopper: When things are cheap, rebates common, free shipping...... you think the shooters who believed it would stay that way forever are victims ? I don’t think so.

———- Ant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm down to 150 rounds. I have been cutting back to 50 rounds a day shooting only two days a week for several months now and it shows. I have 1300 primers, 1000 wads, enough powder for about 1200 rounds, but no shot. No shot available anywhere. I refuse to pay $98 a bag for shot at some online scalpers. All online sources for factory rounds dried up months ago. Two Wally Worlds within ten miles with empty shelves. So three more trips to the club and I'm done until things open up. Sucks, don't it.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts