Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I know there are a lot of threads on gunstock finishing.
However I do not see any specifically talking about the below product.

My question is, can this be simply wiped on over an existing boiled linseed finish.

Thanks for your time.
Jeremy

·
Registered
311 Posts
What about this...
View attachment 1754741
I have read people are using this on gunstocks

Thanks,
GREAT stuff! Used a lot of finishes since the 70's and that is now my go to finish. Usually with Arts French Red, which is the only filler I use up until Arts never used a wood filler, used a finish slurry instead to fill the grain. The combination of the 2 is outstanding IMO. Has held up well for me in all types of conditions for quite a few years now. Long carries, rain and snow. Still haven't had to touch it up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those stocks look beautiful.
That is exactly what I am trying to do to mine.

Quick question:
Can I put it the MAOF on as another coat to a stock with 3 coats of Boiled Linseed Oil?
or do I need to get all of the BLO out of the stock now?

Thanks,

·
Vendor
19,783 Posts
bgy. You should investigate "stippling". Dremel tool and a little patience.Looks as good as checkering

·
Registered
838 Posts
GREAT stuff! Used a lot of finishes since the 70's and that is now my go to finish. Usually with Arts French Red, which is the only filler I use up until Arts never used a wood filler, used a finish slurry instead to fill the grain. The combination of the 2 is outstanding IMO. Has held up well for me in all types of conditions for quite a few years now. Long carries, rain and snow. Still haven't had to touch it up.

Using Art's French Red stain and filler has faded away over the years. If you want to bring out figure and color of wood nothing better. I used it on model 12 trap & skeet wood before I sent to John Durkin @ Winchester custom shop for B carve patterns. In fact, John called be about the color, it was better than the stain he used @ Winchester.

Nice picks of the 37, stock finish and your bird dog too

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have found that wipe on Poly dries to quickly. If it is not smooth when completely covered, don't go back and try to smooth it out. Never tried to thin it. Better things to use. There Antique Oil Finish is good stuff for an oil finish look.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
One more thing. Most oil finishes can be used over another oil finish without a problem.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Waterlox sealer finish is also a good wipe on product. You’ve got about 10 minutes to get it right before it sets up, tacks up. Can be wet sanded and buffed after the proper cure time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Waterlox sealer finish is also a good wipe on product. You’ve got about 10 minutes to get it right before it sets up, tacks up. Can be wet sanded and buffed after the proper cure time.
I have never heard of this product.
Can you get it at a hardware store like Ace?
Does it leave a glossy finish after buffing?

Thanks,

·
Registered
147 Posts
It does leave a gloss finish after buffing. Our true value store sells it. Not cheap, about 38 dollars a quart. The original sealer comes pre thinned so it ready to be wiped on or sprayed. Very durable finished when it’s fully cured.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts