Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a refurbished VH Parker from 1901 that has new wood and rust blueing - but they stopped short of the case hardening.

I know Doug Turnbull is known for this, but I wondered who else is out there?

Thanks.....

·
Ljutic Nut
2,940 Posts
Doug Trunbull is the best!
I think Doug used to be the best, I seen a Winchester lever gun he did a while back and it looked like clown soup to me. There was way to much orange color in it. Not what I like to see but the owner was happy with it.

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts
Can you touch up case colors? There was a gunsmithing book that had a chapter on that . Dont remember which, but minor touch ups were discussed

·
Registered
14,120 Posts
There's a HUGE difference between "case coloring" and "case hardening".

Case hardening requires heating and quenching the metal, and is an actual physical process that alters the structure of the steel.

Case coloring is done with cyanide or a blow torch to literally COLOR the metal, but does not affect the base metal. There is also a couple DIY kits available that look like they essentially stain and/or paint the metal to make it look like case coloring.

Case hardening cannot be "touched up", it simply needs to be rehardened, which will create a whole new pattern on the surface of the metal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts