Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an early (1968) BT-99 in trade recently. Nice gun, cosmetics are very good, but the lever is middle to slightly left. I did a full detail disassembly and inspect to determine the the locking block is fully extended. Looks like the barrel notch will need to be welded and a new block fitted, at least.

So, what are the good choices to have this done? I’ll need to ship it regardless, so location is not a big factor.

Recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Boxo there a many but the ones I am familiar with are Phillips Gunsmithing in Emory TX, and Skeets in Tahlequah OK. I also appreciated the work of The Gun Dr. but he is no longer operational. Phillips has done two of the three rebuilds on my old Beavertail BT-99 and I couldn't be happier with his work. You will have no trouble finding a good smith for your rebuild. Steve

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it really worth fixing since you can get an older used BT-99 pretty cheap?
Fair question, but I wont have the final answer until I get an estimate or two- working on that now.
It is a nice clean example other than the lock up wear.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Spend the money to fix it- the old ones are better than the new ones Browning is selling.
I would send to Phillip...he is very reasonable and does excellent work.
Paul in Virginia

·
Premium Member
8,262 Posts
I would highly recommend Tom Larkin,
owner of the Stock Shop.
Tom does a stand out job, on older BT's., as well as the myriad of other fine firearms.
MG

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. I haven't been able to shoot it yet, but my local club is finally able to open this weekend.
I'll shoot a few rounds and if it doesn't have any immediate issues, I'll likely finish out the (short) season and send if off this winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts