Trapshooters Forum banner

Guns that don’t like non-premium ammo

6064 44
I'm having to retire my preferred trap gun (hopefully temporary) because of the cost of premium shells, It doesn’t eject most steel base shells. Shooting my backup gun because it will shoot and eject most anything I run through it. Hope the prices of the premium shells come down soon. So I’m still shooting and enjoying it and I have became aware it’s not the gun but who is shooting it. But I still like my number one gun. I do reload most of my shells but component cost has drastically increased.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
2,877 Posts
You might try roughing the base of the steel hulled shell with some sand paper, and see if this helps them eject.
On 2 polished surfaces they tend to drag harder, than 1 smooth and 1 rough.
I have an old 22 that refuses to eject shells after a good cleaning. It takes a few rounds to get dirty before it is no longer a problem.

· Registered
151 Posts
I have had good luck coating the chamber, especially the head area, with a spray molybdenum disulfide. Gun Clubs would stick in my Super X 1. Actually burnishes into a "plating" and lasts. Works great on shotshell reloader parts as well. Any place you you want a dry film, non-lubricant. Can be cleaned up or removed with a good bore solvent but otherwise is incredibly long lasting.

· Registered
6,249 Posts
I shot a couple rounds recently with my 1100 Competition instead my Ljutic because I shot them with Fiocchis. (they were supplied by a well-stocked shooter) They worked just fine in the 1100, but I didn't shoot as well as I do with my Ljutic. (Not that that's all that great...) I'm glad I reloaded enough brass-based shells to get me through this year, I wouldn't like to have to let my Ljutic sit because I couldn't get the right ammo.

· Registered
1,283 Posts
My KX6 special will shoot anything that I have put through it, reloads with AA hulls, nitro 27's, winchester super targets, and AA factory loads, federal top guns, federal gold metals, have not found anything it won't digest.

· Registered
1,111 Posts
My Alf has trouble with steel based, got to knock them out several times a round; gets a little old. OK for practice but I won't shoot them for competition.

· Registered
7,243 Posts
I have been pretty lucky, None of my guns are picky. The oldest trap gun I have the the 682 Beretta. Pretty sure it is a 1986.

I can sympathize with the frustration when a gun does not work right I had a New H&K that functioned poorly with cheap ammo, and was not reliable with premium ammo. After the 3rd trip back to the factory, I traded it back to where I bought it.

· Registered
4,740 Posts
My old BT-99 won’t eject steel based shells every time , even reloads. When I use it, I take a small amount of grease on my little finger and lube up the chamber up as far as the steel base makes contact, it’s usually good for a round or a little more.....

· Registered
151 Posts
I

It's the steel based hulls. Many of the guns we shoot were made before steel based hulls became the normal.
Certainly make sense. I've experienced it myself. Still, either the gun &/or ammunition manufacturers should somehow address this issue. While not common, steel headed shells seem to be an issue for some. Perhaps more chrome lined chambers, slick-coated or slight tapered steel heads might be a start. Sticking should not be an issue. Someday, brass heads may no longer exist.

· Registered
605 Posts
I

It's the steel based hulls. Many of the guns we shoot were made before steel based hulls became the normal.
I wish the ammo makers would make their steel based hulls with as short a steel base as possible. The rim is all that is needed for the extractor. I believe they would be reliable in more firearms if they would do this. They would run through a loader with less effort too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.