Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I get older I've come to realize my children don't share the same enthusiasm as I do for some of the guns I have in my gun collection. My guns tend to be classic wood grain shotguns, rifles, and pistols. In addition the intrinsic value they have make it hard to part with. It seems like it has to have a synthetic stock, matte finish, or be some kind of AR-15 style.

The reality is you can't take them with you. Ex. I have Win. model 97 shotgun I inherited from my grandfather. He used to shoot ducks on the Mississippi flyway. My grandfather was a very frugal man, he shot less than two boxes of shells thru it. I shot one round of trap with it and put it back on the shelf. It hasn't been shot in over 47 years. I love looking at it and thinking about my grandpa. My kids just can't make the same connection with it as I can. They have been very honest with me and respectful. What should I do? Sell the guns that have little to no interest in and update a few guns? My fear is these guns lose value as time goes on because all the guys that loved them are now dead and the demand isn't as great. Model 12's seem to be dropping a little in price. Am I wrong?

In closing, I think a lot of members have pondered this same issue. What's the resolution? Looking for suggestions not offers. I'm not selling at this time.

Thanks Guys,

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think that I would ask your kids, or grandkids about their interest in them. If they truly don't see any value in them, then I would decide what you want to keep and sell the others to folks that you know appreciate what they are. I just can't fathom not wanting any of my dads or grandpa's guns just because they aren't the ones that I would buy today.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same boat with my grandfathers 97, I can remember us going hunting on the cool fall mornings and him carrying his prize possession as the dogs worked the fields for rabbits. After he passed I became the proud owner and have hunted many seasons with it while keeping it in the same conditions as he did.

I have not shot it since 1986 but would not hesitate taking it out as it's as tight as it was new and while it has a few handling marks it is in great condition. I had always planned on passing it on to a son or grandson, but I'm not sure they would fell the same as I about it.

I may have to get it out and shoot a round of trap with it and relive some memories.

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Whether its shotguns, rifles, or handguns, it's hard to get a warm fuzzy feeling about guns that are all black, composite stocks, etc. Times sure have changed. I'd give damn near anything to get my Grandfathers Model 12 from my cousin. If your kids don't seem excited about inheriting your guns I'd sell 'em.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I would not sale one gun now my son (30) and daughter (34) did not seem interested in my older guns at all a few yrs. ago but now they are buying simular guns and asking alot of questions about what I like and what Grandpa's used,hang on to them you never know how it might end.I also have my Great Grandfathers Mod.97 and my Grandfathers Mod.12 and my Grandfathers Stevens Buckhorn 22 and Rem.141 35 no plans on ever parting with till you know when.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'm not all that old (41) but I have always been been drawn to guns with rich bluing and nice walnut. The composite stocked guns maybe great for field use especially in nasty weather but, I just can't get past the utilitarian look. They just don't catch my attention.
I've also always been a sucker for classic shotguns, lever guns and revolvers.
My daughter gets it and seems to be drawn to the same style guns as me. My step son, well he likes all the plastic fantastic black guns and only likes to shoot paper targets.

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
What do you care if they loose a percentage of there value? Keep them. Especially your Grandfathers shotgun. You have a direct bond with that shotgun. If you don't need the cash? You may want to keep the rest of your shotguns as well. Some people may not want to burden there spouse with this task later in life. So they may sell off some guns when there health becomes a issue. The choice is yours. break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
It is truly a family decision. A gun collection that pleases you could create conflict and confusion amongst your children if your wishes are not agreed and understood when that day comes. If the children have no interest, put those guns in the hands of people who will enjoy them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I also have my Grandfather's '97. Nobody in my family would be interested I'm sure, but it's not going anywhere.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
The cold hard fact is far too many kids today seem to have no interest in the past ,whither it is guns ,family heirlooms , History, what ever. Not saying all are like that but far too many. I have my dad's old Marlin 30-30 and his old Model 11 Remington. My daughter wants a couple of her mother's guns but,probably has no interest in those of my dad's or any of mine . Her husband is a city boy and has no interest in guns. I will leave my Dad's guns to my nephew. I will probably pass before my wife . After she is gone I would guess my daughter will sell all of mine. This country has changed and the youth of today do not value much of what we older folks did.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Don’t sell! Some times it skips a generation (or 2). “Grandad’s” gun may be just the ticket to ignite interest later in life.
V/r
Maxey

·
Registered
13,147 Posts
Sad to hear, in my family discussions, its always, "who get what of dads guns"!! My wife keeps telling me I'd better have it down on paper, I keep telling her I have it on a flash drive!! My grandkids already tell me my jeep is theirs! I think its all in how you raised your kids and what you taught them IS important in life. IT also helps if you get to raise them in rural America. City life changes everybody, I know, I've had to make the change in living space! BUT I shoot more often now thanks to gun club access. My dad didn't have very many firearms, what he did have, his grandkids by me all have at least one, I still have the Belgium A-5's we bought together. They are on the flashdrive as who'es they are next!

·
Registered
751 Posts
It's not really just about guns, my kids can't make the same connection with any of my stuff that I do. Be it guns, major vinyl album, 8-Track, Reel to Reel and vintage stereo equipment, tools, home theater and the list goes on. I don't want to burden the wife with getting rid of this stuff so I guess when the time comes I will sell it all off and spend the money.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Many different thoughts on this and they are all good. I tend to agree with 9point3 quite a bit though. My love of all things firearms came from shooting my grandpa's .22 with my dad. I don't recall loving it at the time but it sure sparked my interest.

You know your family. If they have no interest, sell to someone who does. It would be wonderful if you could ignite the passion in another by selling your guns into another family!

·
Registered
716 Posts
That's a tough question to answer.
My father has a nice collection of firearms. Some very valuable and others not so much.
I'm an only child and will not bare any children of my own and the same goes for my wife. Growing up hunting and shooting trap with him. Just being around him and fine firearms. I have come to appreciate what he has and collected over the years. I the ones I would like to have and that the others can be sold and that wouldn't bother me if they were. I really have no recollection of those growing up only the ones we hunted with and shot. I'm 45 so I can only assume your children are alot younger than myself and have only interest in the black composit style firearms. Really there is nothing wrong with that either. Maybe in time their minds will change and you could pass these on to their kids, your grandkids or sell them.

Jason in PA

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Keep or sell whatever you want to, just because you want to. You won't know or care what happens to them after you are gone anyway.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I like both types. I have two Trap guns, representing each type. One is an 1100 Competition Synthetic, all "carbon fiber'ed" out, two tone, and all the bells and whistles. I shoot it quite well. The other is a classic trap gun; A Ljutic Mono gun, 34", mid (high) rib, fixed choke, nice Anton wood, beautiful gun. I shoot it quite well also.
My older son has already hinted he wants both of them when I'm gone, he's shot the 1100 some, hasn't tried the Ljutic yet. He is more into walnut and blued than most his age. (26)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Not totally forgotten. Going to a M12 only shoot this Sat. in Indiana. You will never see so many M12 in one spot.
Don
what club is this shoot at?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts