Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shocked to learn this morning that a good friend had a house fire recently, he barely escaped, and he saved his two dogs but was unable to save his cat! As a hunter and shooter, he had guns in safes, after the fire he was advised to remove the guns within 24 hours after the fire. Apparently moisture from the heat, cooling and water flooding all cause an accelerated rusting process!
I guess investing in a good safe is not enough if you don't have the rest of the story and what to do after you suffer a fire!
Anybody have relevant comments?

Here is a post I found about the subject:

I can tell you from first hand experience the effects of a fire on the contents inside a fire safe. First, when the fire is extinguished with water a lot of steam is generated. Steam will penetrate the safe so it is critical to remove the contents ASAP to prevent rust. Second, everything inside will be coated with a creosote which can be hard to remove. The solution to both of these problems is to use a secondary container or cover your stuff inside your safe. All of my guns inside the safe are in silicone impregnated socks, and any thing that can be placed inside another container is. Ammo cans are an excellent idea when storing items. The things that I had inside containers where completely undamaged whereas the guns that were stored with nothing on them had significant rust. It was 5 or 6 days before I could open the safe after the fire.

·
Banned
2,758 Posts
I cleaned 15 guns fo ra customer after a fire. Ne brough tthem to my tha day after the fire. Tey all had a light mist of rust on them. I sprayed them all completely with Rem Oil and then disasseamled them and completely cleaned, oiled and checked them out. None got hot enough the damage any sprimgs or wood. After reassembling I test fired each one. Several week later the owner said they all still looked god. No rust came back and he hunts with several of tham every year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad your friend is okay.

My parents had a fire at their house several years ago. Their homeowners insurance company actually paid for them to have a gunsmith clean all of their firearms. Like stated above, the gunsmith claimed that the soot left from the fire was very corrosive.

Jerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts