Trapshooters Forum banner

gunbroker scammer— lilywhitee

2949 22
last weekend i hit buy it now ,for 391 black gold ,forsale by “lilywhitee” - it said to use paypal - shipping charge was forthcoming — monday i received a notice from gunbroker ,stating it was a scam and dont pay — this is the first problem ive had at gunbroker
Reactions: vatrap
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
15,217 Posts
A little due diligence on low/no feedback brand new gunbroker sellers helps. Scammers have been run off of Armslist now that they charge buyers AND sellers, so they had to have gone somewhere.

It appears this guy had a F rating and 6 negative feedbacks pointing out he was a scammer before you made your purchase in 4/10.

They are lazy and know nothing about guns, so they simply copy/paste a description they found into the listing. Copy/paste their description into google. Doing this immediately showed me the original listing, in Oregon, from April 5.

Another clue. When sellers list a bunch of items at the same time, you can typically get a feel for what's in the background of their photos (tables, floors, other items, ect). When the guy has 20 items with 20 different backgrounds that's pretty much a dead giveaway.

A google reverse image search helps sometimes as well.

· Registered
15,217 Posts
Using paypal for firearms explicitly violates their terms of service. If you (buyer) has a problem with a transaction, they will do absolutely ZERO to help you, in fact, literally less than zero. The most likely result is they will delete both your account and the sellers account, block you from using the service ever again, and seize any funds you have in your account for up to 180 days.

Using "friends and family" or "gift" payments for merchandise is also a good way to get your account deleted and your funds seized. Paypal has also been known to go back through ALL of your transactions that you received as F&F or Gift and assess their standard fee to ALL of those transactions you received if they discover you abusing the system. I also suppose if the amount of uncollected fees is large enough they'd also have standing to press charges against you for theft of services...

Paypal is not a bank and has no government oversight or rules. They are only bound by their own terms of service, which they will use to their advantage, and your only option for resolution is to go through arbitration, which isn't going to work for your either if you obviously defrauded paypal and/or violated their TOS.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
On the topic of Gun Broker what's is these new Gun Broker Pay that recently showed up on listings?
GB doesn't explain the process other than just sign up, more some sellers will only except "Gnn Broker Pay". Has anyone signed up for it ?

· Just getting by.....
2,028 Posts
On the topic of Gun Broker what's is these new Gun Broker Pay that recently showed up on listings?
GB doesn't explain the process other than just sign up, more some sellers will only except "Gnn Broker Pay". Has anyone signed up for it ?
I have Gunbroker pay and you have to link it to a bank account and you receive funds in either dollars or crypto, it will cost you 3% to accept funds. The set up was challenging, but they seem to verify your identity a little more than Zelle or PayPal.

I started a Discover Bank account just for this and eBay as they require a bank account now also.

I have only had one person pay me with Gunbroker Pay, no problems with it.

PayPal will not help with a firearm, especially when you friend and family the funds. Just a stock would be no problem as they cover some firearm parts.

PayPal's firearms policy:
PayPal does not allow the use of its service or logo for selling firearms, certain firearm parts or ammunition.
Click the following link to read the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy. Using PayPal for payments associated with items that are prohibited by their Acceptable Use Policy may result in the suspension or closure of your PayPal account.
Use of PayPal on GunBroker.com:
PayPal can be used for many items sold on GunBroker.com, so we do list PayPal as a payment option. We cannot provide a direct link to PayPal from a listing or during the checkout process. If you select PayPal as a payment option, you need to submit payment directly from the PayPal website.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
I have Gunbroker pay and you have to link it to a bank account and you receive funds in either dollars or crypto, it will cost you 3% to accept funds. The set up was challenging, but they seem to verify your identity a little more than Zelle or PayPal.

I started a Discover Bank account just for this and eBay as they require a bank account now also.

I have only had one person pay me with Gunbroker Pay, no problems with it.

PayPal will not help with a firearm, especially when you friend and family the funds. Just a stock would be no problem as they cover some firearm parts.

PayPal's firearms policy:
PayPal does not allow the use of its service or logo for selling firearms, certain firearm parts or ammunition.
Click the following link to read the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy. Using PayPal for payments associated with items that are prohibited by their Acceptable Use Policy may result in the suspension or closure of your PayPal account.
Use of PayPal on GunBroker.com:
PayPal can be used for many items sold on GunBroker.com, so we do list PayPal as a payment option. We cannot provide a direct link to PayPal from a listing or during the checkout process. If you select PayPal as a payment option, you need to submit payment directly from the PayPal website.
When you signed up appears as seller but did you notice or is it standard on GB Pay have to link it to your bank account too as a buyer. Personal banking is one thing but giving banking account info to GB is a scary thought for me and won't be the "Lone Ranger". GB has been known not responding to disputes so this is not a warm and fuzzy change. I can see the dealers more in favor than sellers?

· Just getting by.....
2,028 Posts
When you signed up appears as seller but did you notice or is it standard on GB Pay have to link it to your bank account too as a buyer. Personal banking is one thing but giving banking account info to GB is a scary thought for me and won't be the "Lone Ranger". GB has been known not responding to disputes so this is not a warm and fuzzy change. I can see the dealers more in favor than sellers?
[/QUOT
Exactly the reason I set up an account with Discover Bank Online, no fees or balance requirements.
Buyers can pay with a CC.

· Registered
2,222 Posts
I'd beware of signing up for the gunbroker checkout system. If they process a certain number or dollar amount of credit card transactions (IIRC, 200 or $20,000), you'll get a 1099-K form, making it look like all of your transactions were "income" on which you'll have to pay federal income tax. Even worse, some states have state laws that lower the threshold to insanely low levels, like $600-1000 worth of credit card transactions triggering a 1099-K.

I'm sticking to only taking Venmo, Zelle, or USPS Money Orders.

· Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I posted some time back about this same subject on the for sale section regarding GB. I am amazed to see 2-3 Krieghoffs at a time continuously on GB even after being notified they are a scam. Seems there only interest is the commission. Pay close attention to feedback and if is a No-Rating (NR) seller, pay particular attention to all their listings. Common sense goes a long way if they have 10 listings and they all have different backgrounds! Good luck and good shooting, Rey

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.