Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why when I see the weights of any certain gun the 28ga and 410ga shotgun weigh more than the 12ga. You would think with smaller barrels the 12ga would weigh more.

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
Which brand of shotgun do you speak of?

I have never seen a 28 ga. or 410 bore shotgun out weight the same companies 12 ga. shotgun of the same type and make. It has always been very difficult for gun makers to make 4 barrel shotguns all the same weight. They always have a problem with the 28 and 410 bore. Even Krieghoff 4 barrel sets have all the extra weight for the 410 bore in the monoblock. This places more weight between the hands of skeet shooters. Not out in front of your forward hand. This causes the 410 bore's barrels to be a tad more whippy to swing. This IMO is the main reason most serious skeet shooters gave up on the 4 barrel sets. Though there is still a following. break em all jeff

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
^^^ I couldn't have said it any better than Jeff.

I can add that maybe Cementman was looking at guns that had sub gauge tubes in them ?

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
Snow in May, murder hornets, Carol Baskin, .410’s lighter than 12ga.
You left out. "All Bars Closed" & "All Sports Games Shut Down As Well"!!! Just saying.

Sub-guage tubes add 12 oz's to your guns barrel. That is why some companies offer a heavy barrel// or a carrier barrel in 12 ga. to correct this problem. Heck, I shot Sporting Clays for years in 20 ga. because of the weight difference with my 525. No carrier/heavy barrel option with Browning's. I did not want to shoot a ligher shotgun and shoot 12 ga. shells.

Of course our OP never mentioned sub-gauge tubes, did he. But its possible that is what he was trying to convey? His opening sentence was kind of hard to comprehend. break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Sub-guage tubes add 12 oz's to your guns barrel. That is why some companies offer a heavy barrel// or a carrier barrel in 12 ga. to correct this problem. Heck, I shot Sporting Clays for years in 20 ga. because of the weight difference with my 525. No carrier/heavy barrel option with Browning's. I did not want to shoot a ligher shotgun and shoot 12 ga. shells.
barrel weights 010.JPG
This is how I balance out my gun. (note the barrel weights)
I shoot skeet 3 times a week if possible. I have 28ga tubes in it for that. I shoot the same gun for trap 3 days a week if possible - without the tubes. The gun feels like a .410 (lighter) in 12ga mode. So I add weights...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why when I see the weights of any certain gun the 28ga and 410ga shotgun weigh more than the 12ga. You would think with smaller barrels the 12ga would weigh more.
My mistake, meant to say 20ga not 12ga. Actual weight of three of my Browning 725 sub gauges;
20ga 7lb 3oz 28ga 7lb 5oz 410ga 7lb 8oz

Also have the 12ga and that weighs in at 7lb 9oz. Not much difference compared to the 12ga.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Their are a few things that cause Browning 28 ga. and .410 to be heavier than the comparable 20 ga. First, they are all made on the same 20 ga. frame so, the bore centers are the same and therefore, the smaller the barrel OD the thicker the center rib becomes. Second, the 20 gage is ported and the 28/.410 or not. Third, the 20 ga. uses the back bored Invector DS choke system which means thinner barrel wall sections but the 28 and .410 use the old standard Invector chokes with thicker barrel wall sections. Next, the outside shape of the forearms are the same but there is a little more wood in the smaller diameter barrels. Finally, in the case of the 20 vs 28, the 20 ga. has 3" chambers and the 28 ga. is 2 3/4. These are each small affects but they add up. Cheers

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Their are a few things that cause Browning 28 ga. and .410 to be heavier than the comparable 20 ga. First, they are all made on the same 20 ga. frame so, the bore centers are the same and therefore, the smaller the barrel OD the thicker the center rib becomes. Second, the 20 gage is ported and the 28/.410 or not. Third, the 20 ga. uses the back bored Invector DS choke system which means thinner barrel wall sections but the 28 and .410 use the old standard Invector chokes with thicker barrel wall sections. Next, the outside shape of the forearms are the same but there is a little more wood in the smaller diameter barrels. Finally, in the case of the 20 vs 28, the 20 ga. has 3" chambers and the 28 ga. is 2 3/4. These are each small affects but they add up. Cheers
RSVP knows what he is talking about. Spot on explanation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts