Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have all kinds of physical problems.. shoulder, neck, lower back bla bla bla...

I have a Browning Maxus with a Soft Touch on it that I can shoot all day with 7/8 oz loads. The gun weighs about 7.5 lbs.

My challenge is that I do much better with my 725 Citori Trap. I really enjoy the feel of the gun much more. I’ve added weight to the Citori to get it to 9.5 lbs. The recoil really isn’t much. But it’s enough to cause me joint pain and limit me to two rounds of trap per outing. It’s embarrassing cuz at this weight I barely feel a kick yet I’m feeling it afterward.

I’m thinking of adding a soft touch to the 725 in hopes to make the 725 tolerable.

If someone out there has shot a Citori and a semi auto, both equipped with a soft touch, I’d like their comparison of the recoil of each.

I’m hoping with the extra weight, the 725 will feel about the same or softer than my Maxus with the Soft Touch.

thank you in advance as I welcome all comments and questions unless it involves a lawsuit...

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Gun weight certainly reduces felt recoil, but recoil reducing systems like Gracoil, etc. have a more immediate and consistent effect on reduced felt recoil.
john

·
Registered
113 Posts
Got my 870 up in weight and recoil is no issue for me. But my 99 had a rad3 stock on it and it was softer for sure. If I continue to enjoy the pump gun route I may look into something eventually

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it likely that I can get a 9.5lb o/u with a soft touch, to recoil as soft as a 7.5 lb semi auto with a soft touch? My intuition says they would feel pretty similar. But experience trumps intuition.

Tx

ps clay8T, it’s complicated, but there are a lot of reasons the ST works best for me, but thank you for trying to save me some $.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
In my own experience, most recoil devices are more effective than just adding weight.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just bought a Stock Lock for my Kreighoff KX-6. For me, to get the length of pull correct, I would have needed to cut so much wood the gun would not fit the same. I had Gracoils on my past Browning 725 and Beretta 687. By having the "custom" Stock Lock made, I am now shooting more heads up with better recoil reduction. If ever needed, I also have the unmolested original KX-6 stock.

Reactions: BadaBing11

·
Registered
998 Posts
Why not return the 725 to factory weight and shoot the 7/8 load with 15g of red dot and the grey Winchester wad?
It sounds more like its your lifting of a heavy gun with bone on bone issues.
Ill bet its your trigger side shoulder bugging you from the xtra weight.
If so you can hang a bbl weight out front if your left arm can manage and ditch the buttstock weight.
My pfs did the same to me by accenting the weight on my weaker arm .. Great fit device but adds a pound in the wrong spot for me.I don't think the recoil is the major issue here but the gun weight lifting is.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Why not return the 725 to factory weight and shoot the 7/8 load with 15g of red dot and the grey Winchester wad?
It sounds more like its your lifting of a heavy gun with bone on bone issues.
Ill bet its your trigger side shoulder bugging you from the xtra weight.
If so you can hang a bbl weight out front if your left arm can manage and ditch the buttstock weight.
My pfs did the same to me by accenting the weight on my weaker arm .. Great fit device but adds a pound in the wrong spot for me.I don't think the recoil is the major issue here but the gun weight lifting is.
I think you’re onto something here. May have nailed it dead on. It does feel like bone on bone. I get done shooting and my shoulder is popping like crazy. Hurts so bad at night that it keeps me awake, and it lasts for weeks.

I was shooting 7/8 loads at 1145 with Extra Lite and gray wads before I added weight to the stock . I was starting to have problems and went to extra weight , assuming it must have been recoil.

I’m off to the doc today for an evaluation. I hope he orders an mri so I can figure out what’s going on.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I too have neck & lower back issues due to arthritis & tendon impingement in my shoulder so I need some recoil reduction to stay in the game. I have a Beretta 390 with a Soft Touch & an MX-8 with a Soft Touch. Recoil on the 390 is not even noticeable with most any legal trap loads & pretty much the same with the MX-8, although the MX-8 is a heavier gun to begin with.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I too have neck & lower back issues due to arthritis & tendon impingement in my shoulder so I need some recoil reduction to stay in the game. I have a Beretta 390 with a Soft Touch & an MX-8 with a Soft Touch. Recoil on the 390 is not even noticeable with most any legal trap loads & pretty much the same with the MX-8, although the MX-8 is a heavier gun to begin with.
I had thought of just sticking with the Maxus. However, i really struggle with it on trap. I have an adjustable pad and comb and just don’t do well with rising targets unless I wait for them to get far out and get them right when the bird flattens it’s trajectory. The gun works well on skeet and 5 stand, but I struggle with it on trap.

I have thought about just sucking it up and getting a semi auto made for trap shooting. Only ones I can think of are the Rem competition, Beretta target and multi Target , and Fabarm xlr5v AR. Berettas don’t fit me well and it’s a shame because they feel fantastic . I’m not to enamored with the look of the Remington, and if I recall correctly there are some pad adjustments that can’t be done ( lowering or canting?). That leaves the Fabarm. It actually comes very close to fitting me from the factory , and gets my neck more neutral.

I just feel like I’m on autopilot with the 725. It finds the birds automatically and lives up to brownings cliche of being one with the gun. I’m not quite ready to give that up.

Thanks for the comparison info on the MX8 and 390. That is directionally one of the comparisons I was hoping to find .

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Hi all,

I have all kinds of physical problems.. shoulder, neck, lower back bla bla bla...

I have a Browning Maxus with a Soft Touch on it that I can shoot all day with 7/8 oz loads. The gun weighs about 7.5 lbs.
Take the forend off your 725 and have the wife hide it for 6 months. I 'll bet you can learn to shoot the Maxus even better than the the 725. It's already more comfortable and you have another 2 lbs to experiment with while trying to get to a full 1 ounce.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts