Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Today I traded an older Browning BT-99 to another shooter for his older BT-99.

No money changed hands. Direct even swap.

The two guns have identical factory stocks, engraving patterns, tang lengths, barrel lengths, etc. Serial numbers are within a few digits of each other.

Both guns are in the same condition. Neither of us could find a serious defect in either gun. Whatever scratch was in one stock was matched by a similar scratch in the other stock.

We don't think either gun has ever been touched by a gunsmith or had any aftermarket work.

Again, no money changed hands either way.

The gun I traded to the other shooter has a factory fixed modified choke.

The one I received in trade has a factory fixed extra-full choke (0.040" measured).

I think I came out ahead.

The other fellow thinks he came out ahead.

What say y'all ?

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I would say that you both came out ahead! When each party gets exactly what they want nobody loses! Seems to me any time a trade can be made with no cash changing hands and both sides happy it's an ideal trade.Jeff

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Old Cowboy......just how do you figure that?

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Hammer:

The market size for a Fixed FULL or X-FULL is probably 3-times that for a Fixed MOD. So, if all else was truly equal, that guy probably did you at least a $200 favor. Good for you.

-Gary

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
I think you came out a head on this deal. Should be easier to sell a full choke BT99 trap gun then a modified choke in most instances, unless someone is specifically looking for a BT99 modified choke gun.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
"Why would he want to shoot singles with a mod choke?"

Because when using an X-FULL, he very frequently misses birds by 0.8 inches!!! LOL.

gw22_2008_0303147.jpg

Seriously though, most people just don't understand. They don't understand patterning and they don't understand how a tight choke provides better feedback and programs the brain. And God help you if you try to educate them in any way that debunks their deeply ingrained mental hang-ups. When it comes to phsychological issues, facts simply do not matter. Period. But at the same time it is important to realize that the placebo effect is REAL. So if they are CERTAIN that they break more targets with a MOD choke, then they probably will.

(Graph courtesy of Neil of course)

-Gary

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

On two different occasions in the past I have patterned on paper and shot from the line his gun (the full choke).

He has never shot my gun (the modified choke) though the opportunity has been there. Not sure, but he may have seen me shoot my gun from the line.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
True you both got what you wanted..my choice with the quality of patterns with the current excellent ammo would be the MOD gun as the old chokes all shoot at least 1 designation tighter than listed at the time they were made...and an IMOD BT99 will crush anything anywhere

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
It changed both of your minds for the better, that you received the choke of your preference. So, both of you benefited equally for now. That is until the novelty wears off, and both you and himself, miss a couple of targets and think that it was a bad trade because it is the choke that caused the misses, and you decide to just sell outright. Then you may have the upper hand on the deal.

Factory fixed chokes in those BT's were fine patterning guns, no matter the choke. Maybe the other guy only shoots 16 yd., and that is all he is interested in. Though I bet that modified would be sufficient at the average handicap yardage.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I bought a BT-99 two barrel set when they first came out. The fixed Full measured .038 constriction and the fixed Modified measured .028 constriction. This is vastly different from the field gun I now own with Invector choke tubes. The IM Invector choke measures only .020 constriction but it stays in the gun for all my bird hunting.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Jake:

You're exactly right. You may have seen me post about how, many years ago when the fad was ramping up, I got a friend a discount cryogenically treating his shotgun barrel since he was so convinced it would help. In reality I just put his barrel in my safe for a while. Afterward he raved and raved about how much better it patterned and how his average skyrocketed (or maybe it was his wife's average, I think the gun was hers). Anyway, when I finally gave him his money back and tried to educate him on why cryo-treating a shotgun barrel provides none of the benefits it might offer a rifle barrel, he not only didn't appreciate the refund but he got annoyed and insisted that I "did something to make shoot it better." To appease him, since we had met to swap the barrel at a Taco Bell, I told him I had consumed a big burrito and sent a magic fart down his barrel. Hence the birth of my patented "methane barrel treatment process" LOL.

But you're right - True Believers - there's simply no way to penetrate their thick noggins. For them, facts and evidence are meaningless.

-Gary

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
.028 good from the 16yd.line to the 27. #7 choke is all I shoot in my TMX. If his mod. measures in that neighborhood;I don't think he will be at any disadvantage wherever he shoots handicap from.

Steve

1 - 20 of 33 Posts