Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently working on building a stock for a Remington 1187, using a OEM monte carlo stock, a wood rasp, and lots of bondo LOL. I'm duplicating the dimensions that I have on my o/u on my PFS (3/8" offset @ comb, .400" offset @ pad, with 12.29* of toe out).

When I'm done, and have had a chance to shoot it a little bit, I'd like to have it duplicated into something a little more solid (the pattern stock will probably be 1/3 to 1/2 bondo by the time I'm done with it). Haven't decided if I want to go with a mid-range grade of walnut (to match my slightly fancy OEM forend), or go with a laminate. I'll probably end up just going with walnut, which will save me from having to fit, finish, and have checkered a new forend too.

Any recommendations on who to do the duplication.

I'd be looking for something that is a fairly close copy of the pattern, with minimal material removal necessary from the duplicate stock. I've seen some that appear to be carbon copies right off the duplicator, with little more than a light sanding and finish required (like the Wenig DIY stocks I've had in the past), but I've also seen some that look like a beaver was used in the duplication, and SIGNIFICANT rasp and chisel work were still needed. With all the work I'm putting into the pattern stock, I really don't want to go through the same amount of energy getting the duped stock to spec.

Right now I’m leaning toward Devault, or Doug Carpenter of CC Gun Stocks. Both are within 3.5hr of me, so it would be nice to go and have it done in person if possible. I know Dennis will also have a decent selection of wood to choose from (not that I’m going with anything super high grade, but even his bargain bin stocks are pretty nice looking), not sure if Doug has any wood in stock or if you have to provide your own. If they could do same or next day delivery, that’d be great too so I don’t have to be without a stock to shoot for an extended period of time (I believe Wenig is quoting 2-3 weeks for duplication right now, and their duplication costs were pretty pricey when I looked at their price book @ the Grand).

Any experiences with Dennis, Doug, or anyone else would be appreciated. If anyone can give me a rough idea on pricing too, that'd would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Ian,

You already have the right people in mind so gove them a call. I have seen Dennis' work, very nice. Give him a call as answers from people on here will, I expect vary from one duplication to another.

Good luck, Dave

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
Depending on where you are you might try Joe Goldberg (NJ - posts as 'gun fitter' here) - or any of the above - all are good.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Rich Kaysa of trapshooting, Krieghoff and Blaser fame is now back in the stock business. We are lucky to have him here in San Antonio. He may be a year out from making special order stocks but you need to look at the stock machining video on his website. Go to kaysaenterprises.com. Ron

·
Registered
685 Posts
sid justice in kansas il. 217 948 5938 he does all my duplicating and is very reasnable and has wide selection of wood grades .

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
I had Wenig dupe a stock and forend for me and it was shit. And so were they when I brought that to their attention.

I have never heard anything but good about CC and they will def be the guys I go to next time.

just saying ...........

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Wish there was somebody in Canada who knew what they are doing....dealing across the border on pricey gun related items is impossible. Back before the border rules got stupid (mostly related to the US's heavy handed control of what can be exported (eg: a gunstock being a dangerous evil weapon only possessed by warmongering ********....but I digress). I have a nice piece of English walnut I'd get machined for something....maybe even my 870TC...

Ron Burr

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wenig was good when Fred was running the business. Not so now! The new owner, Bobbie, needs to learn what he's dealing with, and learn some manners.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.