Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what works best for you guys. insured, non insured, ground, air, teleport!! I bought my first online gun I don't care how long it takes just worried about it getting here, not lost or stollen

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Although I've recieved 100s of guns via USPS, FedX, and UPS, I only ship UPS. I've never had a problem. I always declare what's in the package and insure it for the appropriate amount. Don't take any chances. Double box it with lots of additional packing material. I have recieved some beat up boxes from USPS and FedX but never with UPS.

Ed Yanchok

·
Registered
686 Posts
Purchased a gun online last month and it was delivered to my FFL via USPS priority mail. Was insured and only took two days from FL. to MN. Perhaps all priority mail is two days.... whatever the case may be I was satisfied.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have had good luck with USPS priority mail, except for a receiver sent to Allem's. The Allems told me their local p.o. is notoriously bad. Ask before you ship.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
USPS insured of course!! to FFL only... easy..
That but the ins is ONLY good if its lost. Just tried to make a claim on a damaged stock and found no joy. I still use them since their close and cheap

·
Banned
940 Posts
I went to send my barrel only to Doug Braker by way of UPS. When the fellow asked me about insuring the package he asked me what was in it. When I told him it was a barrel he said he couldn't send it. I then called the UPS store and they said they didn't ship gun parts. My wife happen to see and talk to our UPS driver and he said the fellow who wouldn't accept the package was stupid and he was going to tell him so. The driver told us to get the slip over the internet and take it to a pick up point and he would take it. Why aren't you people having trouble sending your gun etc?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
You need to take guns and gun parts to a UPS hub not a UPS Store.

I guess another way is get the shipping slip on-line and call for a pickup. You should check with YOUR UPS driver. It may be like the UPS Stores policy not to accept guns or parts, each driver may have their own policy.

Jason

·
Registered
21,027 Posts
Personal experience is for UPS depends from where (gun friendly) and who. I've had to make a return trip to a UPS hub with a printed email from UPS brass twice in Los Angeles county (Gardena and Cerritos)....proving I was right almost made it worth it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
JSLYTLEMN: Is correct on USPS shipping long guns.
I suggest you check with-in with your local Post Office.
Ask to see a copy of the "Domestic Mail Manuel" (DMM).
Go to Chapter 25, All the information necessary on shipping/mailing is provided.
Now you may come in contact with a "Know It All" type window clerk that will tell you this can not be done....B.S.
Show this knowledgable person "The Book".
It is also worth noting here, UPS, FEDEX, DHL, and all other shippers of this nature are subject to the SAME RULES/REGULATIONS as the USPS....The DMM Rules.
Hope this help.

·
Registered
Ktieghoff K-80 super sport one plantation, one gold super scrol
292 Posts
always have problem in Mass. with UPS!! I ship FedEx my account and drop off at their office never problem. I carry SAIA insurance which cover shipping!!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
For long guns, most secure would be USPS Registered Mail. The package is signed for by every person who handles it and is under lock and key everywhere it stops. IIRC, items sent via registered mail can be insured for up to $50k. USPS Priority Mail (insured) is faster, but not as secure...but theoretically, you still get paid if it disappears. Also, for high dollar guns (like $2k+ or so) it's often cheaper to send via Registered Mail than Priority+Insurance.

Some of the packing requirements of registered are a PITA though (paper tape on all seams, etc).

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
I just recently sold my beautiful Beretta to gentleman on this forum. I shipped it UPS and insured for $2k. When asked what was in the box, I replied "art work". It's not????
Sure, but you flushed whatever $2k worth of insurance cost down the toilet, and would be on the hook to the buyer for any loss or damage b/c the insurance you purchased was void.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
I rarely insure my guns , high insurance is a flag to thieves, just like NRA, ATA, Browning,Krieghoff, etc. decals on your cars. Same goes for hitch covers in the shame of ammo, etc.

Years ago Harlan Campbell's truck & guns were stolen in Nashville.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Sure, but you flushed whatever $2k worth of insurance cost down the toilet, and would be on the hook to the buyer for any loss or damage b/c the insurance you purchased was void.
Not to mention read the part in 18 USC 922 about declaring firearms to common carriers.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That but the ins is ONLY good if its lost. Just tried to make a claim on a damaged stock and found no joy. I still use them since their close and cheap
I just had a similar situation with UPS. Shipped a K80 Pro Sporter to a gentleman and the Americase was damaged during transit. Had purchased $8500 worth of insurance and they denied the claim. Luckily the gun was not damaged. Wound up refunding $310 to the buyer to compensate for the damage. You would think that if they are going to deny the claim that they would at least refund the cost of the insurance. Nope.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts