Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am traveling from Pa to Co. over the holidays to visit my daughter at which time I will transfer a handgun to her for a present. With crowded airports at this time I was wondering if it is legal to ship a firearm via fedex to her home, just thinking that the checkin with a gun at the airport could be long and this could save time.I have checked with my local gun shop and they can only ship to a FFl. Any thoughts

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
how are you transferring it to her??? what are the laws in colorado about purchase??? do they have a waiting period??? Is she going to sign a 4473 form??? That would mean it might have to be transferred to a dealer in that state and then she buy it fromthat dealer??? Might be a bit difficult as the dealer would have to put it into inventory and then out to her???? I believe you could ship it to yourself but then you are talking about a transfer and that is were it gets sticky. If you just give it to her it might be against the law BUT then who knows what really happens in families???

·
Registered
232 Posts
Only way to ship is it has to go to a ffl near your daughter..no way around that if your shipping it...wouldn't think it would be that much of a hassle to just check it in with your baggage as long as its hard cased n declared...

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
Which airline/airport are you flying out of in PA?

Airlines must give special handling to firearms in luggage, so taking it in your luggage should not be a problem (check TSA and the airlines guidelines).

I fly in and out of Philadelphia with firearms often - never had a problem.

I would get a small lockable case (again, check TSA rules for this) and take it as an extra bag (with USAir a second bag costs $35). Present the pistol with the case.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The transfer in Co is no problem . I want her to own legally so a FFL is required. Transport to and from FFL not an issue Pa and Co carry laws are reciprocal. Would be nice to present the gift to her then go to FFL and make the proper transfer

·
Registered
846 Posts
Pretty sure you can gift a firearm to your child, no paperwork necessary. How you get it there is up to you. It is still yours until you hand it over. One can still mail it without declaration. Check out the ATF website.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Legally you can send YOUR gun to your daughter's address C/O yourself. That way only YOU are legally allowed to open it. When you get there, take it to an FFL dealer, and transfer it to her. Non-FFL dealers, cannot send handguns through the USPS, as stated above. DO NOT INDICATE ANYWHERE ON THE PACKAGE THAT IT IS A GUN INSIDE!

Best thing to do with CO. new gun laws, is to ask the local ATF office in CO. what the law is, and take names.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts