Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am moving later this year and will be buying a new safe. I currently have a Cannon, with which I have no complaints.

Are there any things I should look out for? Any brands to be avoided?

thanks,
chet h

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
I have a Liberty and a Browning (ProSteel). Both meet my needs. I would just say don't believe the advertising about how many long guns a safe will hold. They might hold half of the number advertised.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I sold three different brands while working as a sales rep in the sporting markets. My advise. Liberty is the leader for a reason..service after the sale.
Browning is the worst.. for the same reason.
Big Buck Sports in Hattiesburg Ms, at the time a $100,000+ dealer for Browning, had a Browning on the floor
that some kids locked and it took a little over six months to get someone from Browning to fix the problem. The reason, they don't make their safes.

For those I have offended, I bought a Browning before I sold any brands, and had no problems. I sold the house it was in and let it go with the house. And I never sold Liberty either.
The safe you have is good, as are most brands. BUT should you ever have a problem, it's nice to know someone will help you out.
Liberty is very hard to beat----and sell against! By the way, I have a Cannon now because it was on a very good sale.
My Best
Jim

·
Registered
402 Posts
Dukefan is bang on, they never fit as many guns as they say but if you have a safe you may know that. I think Ft Knox and Liberty are both great quality safes, you can’t go wrong with either one. The saying you get what you pay for definitely applies here. Make sure you also consider delivery and setup as part of the next purchase, it’s important.

Ask whoever you‘re thinking of buying from if they can and will move it...exactly where you want... and ask them to also explain how it’s done. Dropping it off in your driveway and getting it moved to the exact spot you want are two different things. I’ve wrestled one by myself...never again and had a professional delivery service that used a “robot” to climb the stairs. The robot is the way to go!!

Good luck with your move and new safe purchase.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Champion/Superior Safes, American Security, Fort Knox, liberty, steelwater - all good safes if you get the mid to upper level safes - the ones that weigh 900lbs and have 8-10 ga steel on all sides. Ones to stay away from - Cannon, for one. It may have worked for you thus far, but then again maybe you haven't been robbed. There are videos on youtube of people breaking into Cannon safes with a crowbar in under 5 minutes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a cannon too, I bought it because I liked the layout and still do.

I think there is a wide range of quality, but ultimately, I have a safe to keep honest people off my guns (kids/wife) and so security features other than a lock weren’t too important to me. I put my safe in a place where it would be nearly impossible to remove it or tip it over.

The number of cross bars or thickness of the steel just don’t matter too much imo.

I would add I got an electronic lock and I love it. the spin combo locks will make you want to leave your guns in the safe and not bother opening it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Liberty sell other brands of safes also, I bought a Denali, I think it was made by reed safes, nice safe sold by liberty safes.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
American Security here also! And it doesn't hold the 53 guns it is advertised for. It might if none had scopes, raised stocks, bolt actions, etc. Not complaining as I love this safe, but this seems to be a common occurrence.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Liberty has a good track record and you can many times find a deal here and there. Bigger is better and I think a Dial is much better than a digital. More fire protection is also a good thing.

Dukefan, Kimo, and BG are spot on regarding claims of how many guns a safe holds. I wish I had what mine said they could accommodate.

Good hunting.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I bought a Liberty in 2000. Its been great and Im looking to buy another. But I am looking at a Pendleton with the rotating gun rack. Makes the ones in back a lot easier to find.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I have had Treadlock, Browning and Liberty...… Now only have Liberty (sold the others) . Liberty has numerous models to meet your needs.
Find a dealer who knows what they are talking about - the box stores sales people probably do not know the safe business. I bought my Liberties from a company that only sells safes and security stuff... Great service after sale if needed.

A piece of advice based on experience.... No gun safe is ever big enough, go really big or go multiple units. And, no gun safe will generally hold as many guns as they say.....esp if you have bolt action rifles and rifles with scopes ---Also, consider a bulk order of SackUps and some really good moisture rods.
A modification you may consider is to add a little strap or "gate" so to speak that fits across the racks just inside the door. A made one for all my safes. Doing so will reduce the likely hood that a gun may tip over and fall out while the door is open …(don't ask)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have a Cannon only because that's what was available nearby but I've heard they're not good in a fire. I'd lean towards Liberty. One thing, do not get a electronic lock, go dial. My .02.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I got rid of one safe that had a dial, as It was a PITA to open. I now have ones with didgital and will never look back.

Reactions: Smitty410
1 - 20 of 42 Posts