Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had my gun safe in an unfinished portion of our basement. We've just moved and I have the opportunity to take a room in the basement as my very own. The room is carpeted. Any issues with putting a gun safe on carpet? In the past I had my safe on 4 bricks to keep it off the concrete floor.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I would build some sort of box, maybe 4-8 inches tall to set it on. Makes it easier to get into and being in a basement you just never know about water issues.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A couple of things to consider. Depending on humidity it may still be a good idea to elevate your safe for airflow. I use 1x4 laying flat on two sides of the safe. Biggest thing is to secure the safe to the wall. Carpet has enough "give" - even when compressed - to make a safe unstable when you open the door. Jim

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess it might depend on the carpet and a bit on the footprint vs height. I have a 24-gun safe in the basement sitting on a berber carpet over standard carpet padding. Not attached to the walls or floor, not raised, stable as a rock, door opens without issue. But it's a big safe and not likely to be pulled open or over by its own door opening. A tall, thin, light safe might be a different story on a thick carpet.

Raising it to avoid water is dependent on your basement I suppose.

·
Banned
6 Posts
I always have my gun safe suspended from the ground a bit just like theo said, but then again the water issue depends on the basement.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
As sstated above, raise off the floor. With possible moisture coming through concrete you could possibly have rust and also ruin the carpet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts