Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed surface rust on one of my shotguns. What is the best way to take off the rust, and what can I use to take the humidity out from my gun safe?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Use Flitz polish, it will not harm the bluing. You may want to pick up some slp2000 EWL and use to keep the metal protected. I use it to clean the bore and the benefit is that it will make cleaning the bore a lot easier. My shotguns do not ever have a buildup of wad residue. Running a bore patch results in the plastic residue coming out in one sheet. You may pick up some silica bead dessicants to hang in your safe. They are reusable. When the dot on the side turns pink, put them on low heat in the oven for a few hours and they are ready to be reused. They are relatively cheap and moveable.

·
Registered
898 Posts
soak rag with w d 40 on it over nite then buy a can of never dull at ur local hardware works every time no abraveive in it u will be amazed let us no i use a heat stick in mine works perfect ty bob

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
If you can put a small wattage light bulb as long its a incadescent ( old Style ) I used to us a fish aquiarm bulb 15 watt was fine

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Get a golden rod dehumidifier for you safe.
Wax or put oil on you gun when putting them away and do not touch the metal with your hands. I use rubber gloves and have no problem over 40 years.
Try some Break free CLP to remover the rust. WD40 will also work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What is the ideal % humidity to store firearms? While reading this post I glanced at the humidity reading on my gun storage area and saw that it was 57%. It usaually is between 50 and 55% and have never had any problems with corrosion.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I put the Remington rechargeable pack in and it had a trouble keeping up. Bought a heat stick. Looks like this will do the job. Good luck

·
Registered
474 Posts
Heating the air inside your gunsafe does not reduce the amount of water vapor in the air, it raises the temperature of the air enabling it to hold MORE water vapor. But, if more water vapor is not available, it reduces the relative humidity. Use a dessicant , two if necessary. A digital humidistat is available at WalMart, HD etc. for $10.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did some googling and here is what I found.

According to the NRA:

50% humidity at 70 degrees is considered ideal "Arms Museum" storage conditions.
Any dryer that that and you will have problems with wood stock drying out nad shrinking/checking.
Rust is unlikely to form below 65% humidity unless salt is present.

I try to keep my gun room at 70 degrees but have noticed that the humidity levels vary from 50-55%.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok say I get a golden rod, and I store my gun powder in the same gun safe will it still be safe or should I move the powder to another location?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I got one at Academy for $19.99 going to hook it up and watch it work. Thanks to all who replied.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I use this,, actually have several, and if you shop them you can get a good price. I paid like $16.00 each but bought several at once.
(Eva-Dry 500 Mini Dehumidifier)

http://www.eva-dry.com/special-offers/?gclid=CIign_b78LoCFabm7AodoBIAng

good luck,

Doug

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have my gun room in the basement garage. The other day my wife mentiond that she had seen mold in the garage (this year has been a very wet rainy one), my reply was "it's no big deal". A couple of weeks later I went to my gun room to find that everything was covered in a light moldy film, even inside the cabinets. The inside of my two safes were perfectly fine, I have one Goldenrod in each.

I need to pay more attention to my wife.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts