Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent many hours over the weekend researching guns with a mind to buying my first trap gun in the next few weeks. I've read lots of forum posts and other sources on the Internet and have narrowed my list down to three guns that I think may work for me as a first trap gun. Here's the list:

1. Browning Citori 725 Trap Combo
http://gunsunlimitedomaha.com/catalog/item/BRN-725 UNSINGLE COMBO GRACOIL.aspx

2. Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon 3 Trap Combo
https://www.joeletchenguns.com/sp3-rh3034.html#.VYg8AGT2DcN

3. Krieghoff KX-6

Any particular "gotchas" or reasons why any of these guns would not be suitable? Does any one of them stand out above the others? Should I consider something else not on my list? (At this point I want to buy a new gun from a dealer, not a used gun from either a private party or a dealer.)

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
What ever gun you get make sure it gets fitted to you. A Trap gun is like a pair of shoes. It has to fit you to be of use. Once fitted its off to the range to pattern it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
For the cost of what you're looking at above, there's a Perazzi MX3 Special in the For Sale section for a very good price. If I didn't already have one is jump on it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do you shoot doubles? If you have no intention of shooting doubles I would do the KX6 . The KS series was a dandy still one of my favorites. . The trigger mechanism is far less complicated and very easy to keep clean. The best trigger of the mentioned group. Also Krieghoof takes care of the gun long after the initial sale.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I own the 725 unsingle and I would recommend it highly. If you buy it just go ahead and buy some Carlson"s or Briley extended choke tubes and you are good to go. It is an awesome gun. I do not care for the greycoil

·
Administrator
8,662 Posts
If you are buying a trap gun and plan on shooting doubles invest in a combo.I have owned and had experience with all 3 and the KX-6 is a target crusher and has a adjustable comb and rib and is pretty easy to dial in but is a single shot so wont help for doubles. I feel a great value for the money is the Browning 725 Combo that Guns Ulimited offers with the Gracoil comb hardware and and the Gracoil LOP adjustable recoil device.My dad has one and we were able to get it set up in a short amount of time and just a couple of pattern sessions.The chokes patterned real well, I know everyone has their own opinions but I just go by what is put in front of me on the pattern board and they were consistent from choke to choke and very even.If I had a choice of the 3 I would take the 725 combo with the Gracoil upgrades.THe only thing that we changed on the 725 is the recoil pad as it is a pretty hard material and alittle abrasive.THe Beretta that you mentioned is also nice and comparable with the Browning but if you are buying new I like the option of the adjustable LOP on the Gracoil as you mentioned wanting to really be able to get a good gun fit.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I bought two of the LH Joel Etchen Pigeon 3 687's early this year and have been very pleased with them. Don't know anything about the others. How about the Fabarm Combo or the Caesar Guerini Summit? The list could go on and on.
If you're left handed, I could talk to you about one of my 687's. I've now added a Krieghoff K 80 Combo, Caesar Guerini Unsingle, Browning ST-100 O/U, and getting to the point where I need to stop buying and sell something.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have aBrowning Crossover got a chance to shoot a couple of rounds with a KX6 wish I had bought one befor getting the Browning.
Softest shooting single shot on the market in my opinion.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm leaning towards a single at this point. I'd like to get something more upscale than a BT-99. Is there anything besides the KX-6 in the $4-5K range (new)?

·
Administrator
8,662 Posts
Jerry, The KX-6 is a great choice if you want a single.I would also look at this maybey in another way if you are just wanting to get a single.Why not look into a top or bottom single only in the various choices that are out there and have the option of adding a O/U BL. later? There are a lot of options say a Ceasar G. in a top or bottom single, and really do not count out used as there are a lot of good values out there, I have seen Blaser F-3 super trap bottom singles out there at a good price and they are easy to add a O/U to later.Your modern trap gun is designed to last a long time and can be rebuilt/annual service so I would not shy away from a nice used Perazzi MX series gun either.

·
Banned
848 Posts
I would also suggest to look at lightly used Perazzi MX series (preferably MX8 platform type 4). You can find a single barrel and fit O/U barrels to it later if you decide to shoot doubles. Perazzi MX, Beretta 686/687, Krieghoff K-80 (not KX-6), Blaser and CG will be the easiest to find and fit extra set of barrels. Browning, no so much... unless you buy a combo. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is the difference in shootability between a top and a bottom single? I've seen more bottom singles (which I presume are called "unsingles") than top singles, so they seem to at least be more popular.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Two very good buys, and great guns, would be the Perazzi TM and the Ljutic. They will last nearly forever and then be rebuilt to last another forever. Very nice used TM's, which I much prefer over the MX guns for singles and HC, can be found for well under $3K while the Ljutic, my favorite, can be found on the used market in near new condition for $3 to $4K. These guns new today run in the $8 to $11K range depending on wood and features. If it's a nice gun why pay 3X more for a new one. If you ever decide to buy and later sell a used P or L gun you will probably recover all or more than your purchase price. You will not do that with the new guns you listed. And if you tend to be proud of your gun either the P or L guns will supply the WOW factor in SPADES. I certainly enjoy the positive comments and interest I get with my Ljutic. Marc

1 - 20 of 42 Posts