Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a shotgun listed on another site for sale....I got a question about the gun, the price, the reserve, etc. The guy bought the gun (bid the buy now price)and has emailed and called a couple of times.....he says he is in the navy and is onboard ship, but wants to buy the gun for his son. At first I was very suspisous, but then he called, said he was at sea, wants to ship gun to naval base trap and skeet club that has FFL Today he called and said he needed the serial number of the gun for the FFL, he just doesn't make a lot of sense, but he's very nice, polite, well spoken and no accent. I've made it as plain as I can that I need a copy of FFL and certified check before I do anything else. I still think there's a 50/50 chance this is some sort of scam...anyone had a similar experience? Thanks

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Being in the "NAVY" should have been your first clue. LOL Just had to say that. But on a SERIOUS NOTE ifhe is for real, he should have no problem in complying with your request for a copy of the FFL and the Check. At this years Grand I bought aNew 725 Trap Combo and had it sent to my club WPAFB FFL.No serial number was requested when I asked for a copy of their FFL to be sent to the seller. GUNS UNLIMITED. I would say be careful.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Just for general information....

There is no requirement for an FFL to provide a copy of an FFL to a private individual.

• If your shipping out of state to a non-licensee, the firearm must be shipped to an FFL, who in turn will transfer it to the non-licensee (your state may have additional requirements for instate shipments).

If the receiving FFL refuses to provide a copy of the FFL license, you should be provided the FFL license number and ship to address.

You might only be provided the first 3 digits and the last 5 digits. That's all you need to verify.

FFLeZCheck 3.1.2 - Federal Firearms License Search

·
Registered
201 Posts
Having stated in writing (sent electronic or not) that he is buying the gun for someone else technically makes it a straw purchase.

Use caution.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Don't believe Certified checks or Cashiers checks are necessarily good either. There are lots of fake checks out there that look real. Make sure that you call the issuing bank and make sure that the check is real ( ie they definitely issued it ) and that there are funds to cover it. In general a Cashiers is a much better grade of instrument than a Certified check because its drawn on the Bank after the funds have been transferred from the buyers account to the Banks account. As such , the Bank is liable for paying the check out of its account.

·
Registered
20,330 Posts
I used JBLM because I have a few arms registered through the Provost Marshall's office there. The form accompanies the arm and is good Army wide.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
He doesn't need to register the gun on base, unless he's storing it on base. Doubtful, If? The trap club has the capability to sell. Some do some don't. But if they have an FFL they DO NOT NEED a S/N.The firearm would be shipped to them in his Name and held in the vault until the buyer shows up to register the firearm.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
The easiest way to stay safe is wait till funds are confirmed by your bank then send the gun to his FFL, not one day earlier. Explain this to the buyer, if he has a problem with it, forget about it.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
if you send it to his base range, does this mean there is no insp period? if hes out to sea for 7 months....itll be a while before he sees it. i hope you sold it as.... as is.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Ask him for the name of his commanding officer-then send a letter to the commanding officer @ the USS---FPO and ask if there is a mr so & so on board

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The buyer is using the Elmore Marine Corp Exchange as the FFL, he provided phone, address and email, I'll be calling them today. He's also requesting serial # he says is necessary for FFL to complete paper work, and that his wife will be sending cert. check today or tomorrow. Of course I'm not providing that until I have cert. funds that have cleared bank. I'm not going to be scammed, and I would think the buyer would understand that by now, so I don't know why he would continue unless he's bored and looking for something to do.
The buyer says he's a Lt Com, and that he's an oceanographer, if that rings any bells let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I looked up the info for the exchange, and the info he gave me is correct, right down to the gun counter extension number, but no answer yet this morning. So maybe this is all above board.....so I guess only thing to do now is wait for funds.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Wishing You a Good sale. The Exchange and the Gun Club are two separate entities with different SOPs.He should be able to provide you with Verifiable contact information that you can use for Your transaction. Just out of curiosity what Ship and Unit is this LtCmdr assigned to?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts