Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An experienced gun down clays shooters but a premounted gun trap newbie here. I have noticed that if I fail to initally get a smooth, solid gun mount and have to make adjustments before calling for the target, a miss is almost a given. Any thoughts about practicing gun mounting at home?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd say if you have to make an adjustment when you mount the gun, then the gun might not fit you properly.

Gun mount should be easily repeatable where it does not distrupt your focus for where you look for the target. If you are manipulating the gun to "get it right", your focus and attention are now drawn to the gun and not to the target where it should be.

After you are confident in gun fit, then work on mounting the gun at home, at the range, and during your practice sessions.

Good luck!

Good luck and break them all!

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'd say if you have to make an adjustment when you mount the gun, then the gun might not fit you properly.

Gun mount should be easily repeatable where it does not distrupt your focus for where you look for the target. If you are manipulating the gun to "get it right", your focus and attention are now drawn to the gun and not to the target where it should be.

After you are confident in gun fit, then work on mounting the gun at home, at the range, and during your practice sessions.

Good luck!

Good luck and break them all!

John
Thanks, John

I am mostly a gun down game and Sporting Clays shooter and over the years have had game gun fittings with Jack Mitchell and Keith Lupton and several stocks made for me. When I started shooting near 40 years ago I played every clay target game I could find, I just loved to pull the trigger. For several years in the 90's I shot in a local trap league with a Perazzi TM1 I altered the stock on. IIRC my average was 22+. Well, I stopped shooting trap, sold the gun, etc. Anyway, I am now 78 and started to shoot trap again last summer. Love it. Even found an old TM1. Getting accustomed to shooting with a pre-mounted gun was a bit of a challenge. I have been altering the stock on my new/old TM1 over the last six months and while not like having cast, drop and twist built into a stock I believe the gun does "shoot where I look". In June when shooting started after the Covid I was struggling to get my 16 yard score to begin with a 2. I shoot about 300 targets a week and the last 1000 targets my average is 22 +/-. That said, there always seems to be one or two that get away. I think you are correct that an inconsistent gun mount is the culprit and some practice at home is in order.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
1) yes practicing gun mount over and over until it feels consistent is important
2) (note to self) when you mount and it does not feel right, take it down and re-mount. I have lost a lot of targets by thinking, " well, it doesn't feel just right but it is close enough" call for the target and the next thing you hear is lost. A solid mount in the right spot, is as important as a solid "natural point of aim" with a rifle. In rifle shooting, when you are in position, and your sights do not line up with the X, you have to shift your body to realign your natural point of aim. Example, prone - you get set, your sights are on the edge of the 10 @3:00, you think "that is close I will just muscle the rifle over to the center of the X and break the shot"--- WRONG! when the shot breaks the target will show a border line 10 @3:00...... you have to shift your natural point of aim.
Same with a gun mount in trap - if the mount is off --- you have 2 big things going against you: #1 - the mount is off, #2 you are thinking about that instead of the target (mentally, you have missed before you call pull)
Practicing gun mount is good.........

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
An experienced gun down clays shooters but a premounted gun trap newbie here. I have noticed that if I fail to initally get a smooth, solid gun mount and have to make adjustments before calling for the target, a miss is almost a given. Any thoughts about practicing gun mounting at home?

Practicing mounting the gun at home should help.

On the line if you don't get a good mount first try, take the gun down and start over.
This will help you perfect your gun mount as well.

Its All Good

West

·
Vendor
762 Posts
When I was getting ready for a State Shoot I never cared much about what sized chart was on my wall. There was usually a couple custmer orders so I used them. If I was putting one up I usually put a 10 footer up. Using it regular was the magic not what size it was. We have a new size in the 8 footer it is a 10 missing one target on each end. It has really outsold all other sizes lately.

Interesting, Do I need the 10' chart of will the 6-8 foot charts do as well? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
definitely get a wall chart from Terry. You can kill two birds with one stone, gun mount and your move to the target. You won't regret it. Money well spent.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice. I am too old to worry about ATA targets and I shoot at local clubs just to have fun. That said, it is more fun to hit 'em all that to let a few fly away.

·
Registered
855 Posts
definitely get a wall chart from Terry. You can kill two birds with one stone, gun mount and your move to the target. You won't regret it. Money well spent.
A eight foot chart in the basement is great practice -Try a lase shell outside at 50 yards - Hang some clays on a wall and have someone call out the birds -Really showed up a hick-up I had in my left bird problem. Proper mount is definitely number one -Smooth swing to and through the target can also be a problem.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Try pointing the barrel at a 45 degree angle high enough so your face touches the comb and bring the butt back into the shoulder pocket then draw down on your hold point observe how the beads look at this point this will be the sight picture and feel of the gun your trying to achieve!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts